Newton reflects on Wrestling Career

Luz Leal, Staff Writer

Once again the wrestling season came to and end and it was time to celebrate with a banquet. This year the wrestlers had a busy season making it all the way to semi-state. It was certainly a season to be proud of and athletes and coaches can only hope to continue to improve from this point on. The banquet is a time to reflect and honor the work of the season and for the seniors it is time to enjoy it all one last time. The seniors gave their speeches and the coaches commemorated their times with the seniors. It is a bittersweet time at the end of the season filled with lots of love for the family, team and sport. In a recent interview with a senior, Zech Newton, he explains his last year as a wrestler at Seymour High School.

Q: What was your favourite part of the season?

My favorite part of the season was sectionals time and everything after. Even if you didn’t do as well as you wanted to all season you are given an opportunity to basically start over and progress.

Q: What’s your favourite part of the banquet?

My favorite part of the banquet was uniting with my teammates that have been through everything with me one last time.

— Zech Newton

Q: Do you think you did better your senior year? If not, what year was your best in wrestling?

I do think I did better my senior year. I could tell my skills in wrestling were improved because some things started flowing better; Some of the competition we had this year was harder; and even though I didn’t get as far as I wanted to I know I had the ability to– and so do my teammates so I wish them the best of luck for next season and future seasons to come.

However, to the wrestlers that are not on their final season this just the start to more successful seasons. “It is a new, different experience,” according to a sophomore, Owen Chandler. Hello to many more wrestlers that will have the many seasons to come, and farewell to the seniors that are leaving their second family and experiencing all of this one last time.