Emerson Elementary: Wigwam of the Indians

Robert

A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to interview Principal Kelly of Emerson Elementary and ask many questions about Emerson. Below are a series of questions I asked and Mrs. Kelly’s responses.

Why did you become a principal?

“I was a teacher first and then I decided to work on my Masters. I wanted to get my degree to be a reading specialist and when I got back I thought I should get my administrator license while I’m on it. Then I went and done my internship with another principal in Arkansas. I did not think I would like being a principal but I thoroughly enjoyed job shadowing her and doing my internship with her. Then I knew I didn’t really want to be a reading specialist. I wanted to be a principal. That was down in Arkansas. I taught in Texas for a while and I went back and got my Masters in Arkansas and I came here to Indiana and got a job here in Seymour in 1999 as a teacher at Redding. I really enjoyed teaching the classroom, I taught 4th and 5th and an opportunity came up to work as an administrator at Redding. I loved it there and I was there for three years and Emerson opened up. Emerson is in the district where I live so I thought it would be a neat opportunity to work with the families that are my neighbors and things like that. So I asked for the transfer over here and I got it. I love talking with the families and I love working with the kids.” (sic)

What is your school’s motto?

“It is an old one they’ve had for a long time and it’s “We’re growing strong.” We hopefully are having our kids grow strong, whether it be growing strong in character, in spirit, in education and academics. Growing strong with friends. So kinda the whole idea of building a great root foundation for students so that when they get up into High School and College they can really flourish into a big tree.” (sic)

How would you describe your staff and students?

“I have a tremendous staff, they are great at caring for the kids and want to get to know them and build a relationship with them. I believe that if you have a relationship with the child or the family then they’re going to learn more. I think that’s a core foundational belief that I and our staff have. I have got tremendous students. I have got just the most wonderful students there are and I got kids that work so hard and ask questions and want to get better. They just want to learn and are eager to come and grow up to be little citizens. I am so proud of the kids we have here.” (sic)