Color Guard: Mixed Opinons

Back to Article
Back to Article

Color Guard: Mixed Opinons

Members of the Seymour High School color guard perform in a parade along Main Street on May 26 at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida.

Mackenzie Pyle, Writer

Within the last three years, the SHS Color Guard has been adding flare to football halftime shows and parades alongside the marching band. The team has incorporated new intricate flags, dazzling weapon work, and fun outfits into every game to keep the audience on its toes. As a new performance season starts and the Guard gains more traction, many are developing their own opinions about the team.

I interviewed the SHS Marching Band’s drum majors and members about their thoughts on the color guard, and this is what they had to say:

Q: Do you think Color Guard should be considered a sport?

A: Yeah, but lowkey.

A: It depends on the level, like college or competitive stuff.

A: Not until marching band is.

Q: As far as school activities go, do you think the color guard gets overlooked?

A: Oh yeah.

A: Definitely.

A: A lot.

Q: Do you think the Marching Band’s performances are improved by the color guard?

A: Visually, yes.

A: I’d say sometimes. Sometimes you guys need some work.

A: No.

Q: What is one thing the color guard can improve on?

A: Enthusiasm and spirit.

A: You need more advanced movements, I think. Just a more advanced show. But that comes with time, and you guys are still pretty new.

A: Timing and communication.

A: Makeup. Seriously, the red lip needs to go.

Obviously, there are many mixed opinions. There are many new things on the horizon for Seymour’s Color Guard, and hopefully we can continue to entertain and support our fellow owls for years to come.