We Danced the Night Away

Avery Ragon, Staff Writer

Dance Marathon first started in 1991 at Indiana University when a student wanted to honor his friend who had died from AIDS.  Now, more than 250 colleges and high schools participate nationwide. Our high school began participating in dance marathon in 2014 to raise money for Riley Children’s Hospital, and we plan on participating for many years to come. In 2014 we raised $4,209, and five years later we quintupled that amount. Last year we advertised the event greatly, and in total raised $20,203.36 . This year our goal was $15,000.  We have done many fundraisers so far this year to help us. This includes: Snappy Tomato fundraiser, selling fans at graduation, corn hole tournament, selling walking tacos at Scoop the Loop,  selling big cookies at lunch, For The Kids 5k, painting senior parking spots, and the black light dance. Dance Marathon was November 23rd from 5-ll p.m. There was a dance that everyone learned in sections, and while we weren’t learning the dance, everyone played games set up around the gym. This year we had nine square, gaga ball, corn hole, bottle bash,  jenga, latter golf, and basketball.  After the dance was complete, a video of the finished product was recorded. There was also bouncy houses, dodge ball, and pizza was provided. Families who have been affected by Riley Children’s Hospital gave speeches and thanked us for participating.  Blowing our goal out of the water by $6,000, we raised $21,669.38