New Students Adjust to Start of School

Chloe Williams, Staff Writer

Seymour High School’s hallways are flooded with new students in the 2017-18 school year, from freshman, transfer students, and foreign exchange students. It took the school a week to have a locker for everyone, and multiple schedule changes. There are  1,498 kids enrolled in the high school according the IDOE. Seymour has students from a variety of background and ethnicity including American Indian, black, Asian, Hispanic, white, and multiracial.  

Daisy Ernest, a freshman said of her first week of school, “My favorite part was meeting all the new people and making new friends.” There are students that are a part of the LGBT community and much more. The new kids at the school have said they feel they fit in pretty well. Ernest stated of her new peers, “I love them. I can get along with people easily, but I like the students at SHS. They are so amazing, loud, and proud. I love it.”

Sophomore Anthony Tice  moved here from Medora said, “My favorite class is theater arts. I love anything to do with acting.”

Ernest chimed in, “My favorite class is band, because I love music, and I love playing. It’s just a warm environment. I love being a part of something so wonderful.”  

Ernest says the school doesn’t seem as big and as hard as she pictured it. “I thought SHS was a completely huge school with tons of stairs and hallways – it’s really not – getting to class is easier than I expected.”

Anthony says, “Medora was definitely a change. It was so much smaller.”

The new group of the students say they are enjoying getting to know the crowded school hallways at Seymour High School.