Art Shapes Identity at SHS

Junior+Marissa+Spires+works+on+a+scratchboard+project.+

Junior Marissa Spires works on a scratchboard project.

Zen Stripling, Staff Writer

Students at Seymour High School value the opportunities art classes present. Art classes include but are not limited to: Intro to 2D art, Intro to 3D art, and Drawing. ¨I went from needing a credit to basically falling in love with it,¨ says Senior Brooklyn Cole, a student that has been deeply involved with art classes at SHS.

¨Art classes have helped students have an identity and discover themselves,” Junior Marissa Spires explained. ¨Art classes make me feel accomplished and successful going into my future as (an) artist.¨ She also stresses that art classes are a ¨great ego booster.¨

Art classes have been known as ¨boosts and breathers,¨ because sometimes, being in the art room is great way to calm down. ¨(Art) became a form of meditation, and I enjoyed it,¨ Cole  says.

“It calms me down just thinking I get to sit for an hour and a half, and work on art.  It is a great stress reliever in general,¨ Spires explains. 

¨Culture is art, and art is culture,¨ Cole starts as she explains her point of view on how art is placed in other classes. ¨Art itself goes into the foreign language classes when dealing with culture, math too with the dimensions and drawings. Another neat thing is to think about the extra credit that is offered whenever you might need to draw something or something of that direction. Taking these classes have helped me.”