Spicing Things Up

Conducting+an+interview%3A+Sophomores+Liam+Combs+%28Left%29+and+Alesha+Graham+%28Right%29+

Conducting an interview: Sophomores Liam Combs (Left) and Alesha Graham (Right)

Zen Stripling, Staff Writer

On Monday, September 11 at Seymour High School, special guest Zach Spicer came to SHS to speak about himself as a Reporter and enlighten students about a career in journalism. Spicer is the first of many to participate in the Career Series. With over 30 participants, Spicer’s meeting was a success.

The series of events were directed by librarian Jill Prange along with Heather VonDielingen, Purdue Extension Jackson County, 4-H Youth Educator. “A couple years ago, Heather and I started collaborating; we started making ideas; it was student interest that brought us here,” Prange says. The next event is scheduled to host Allison Quintero, a Human Resources Development Representative at Aisin Manufacturing on September 25, from 12-12:30 in the library.

Special guest Zach Spicer came to the SHS Library during Power Hour, a time where students have an hour to do work and eat lunch. Spicer explained his path to becoming a reporter, from starting at Wal-Mart to working as a full-time news reporter at the Tribune. “I always had in interest in writing,” Spicer says, “experiencing the Newspaper Staff was where it all started.” With a Bachelor’s in Journalism and a minor in Advertising, Spicer explains that a key note for any potential journalist is: “Follow the rules around you, do the best you can to get everything correct, and to be accurate.”

Sophomore Luke Turner attended the event due to his interested in Public Relations. “Big reason is that I’m into working with people and helping them, It’s something I was born to do,” Turner says. Turner also stated that, “It’s really important to get people from the public, especially for high school students.” With the ability to work with others, Turner strives to go into the social field, and hopes that his abilities can positively affect his future.