Dear Phoebe

Phoebe Hughel, Staff Writer

I Like this guy and he does not know but I am bigger than most people so I am afraid that he will not like me.

Love, Confused Girl

Dear Confused Girl,

Thank you for reaching out. This response hit me personally. Women are taught from a young age that the only way to look “perfect” is to be skinny. We grow up playing with Barbies, to looking at Instragram posts and magazines of models who are so skinny that’s all we want to be. There is nothing wrong with being “bigger.” Most women looks at themselves as “bigger” when in reality they have an average sized body.

If you like someone, then go for it. Yes, it is scary to go out there and just show your feelings without knowing the outcome, but it will be okay. Throw out small hints if you are afraid of rejection. High school is the time to have courage and be who you truly are. If he rejects you because of your size, then he was never worth it to begin with. Don’t look at rejection as a negative thing. It could save you from heartbreak and months of time being wasted. Who knows? He may just say yes! If he says yes, then all your fears were for nothing.

Never be afraid to like who you like. Everybody is beautiful in his/her own way. Never change for anyone but yourself. The love of your life will show up when you need him/her the most. Everyone is beautiful in his/her own way. Love yourself for who you are. If someone judges you for who you are on the outside, then they do not truly know you. Go for it and ask him if he would be interested in dating you. If he says, “No” stay strong and keep your chin up. If he says yes, then your worries were for nothing. Just remember that you are a unique individual and you are perfect in your own way.

Phoebe Hughel, Staff Writer

I am a Junior this year at Seymour High School. My passions involve makeup, art, ballet, and creating music playlists. I enjoy writing and sharing my opinions...