Marching With Style

Anna Massengale, Staff Writer

On October 30 the Seymour Marching Owls got their costumes on and paraded through downtown Seymour. The Halloween parade is where the band dresses up in any costume they want and march as participants in the parade. The band played two songs repeatedly, “Ghostbusters” and “Night on Bald Mountain”.

While most people are familiar with “Ghostbusters,” the song people are most likely unfamiliar with is “Night on Bald Mountain”. It was inspired by Russian works and legends and was made with the theme of witches on St. John’s Eve.

For junior drum major Janet Taguchi the parade went well and was a great success. Taguchi said that the halloween parade was her favorite parade other than the Oktoberfest, and that there was a really good turnout this year. “I think the best part of the parade was conducting, I really enjoy that.”

Taguchi plays Bari Sax and has been since 6th grade. She always dresses up for the Halloween parade so this year she did a group dress up with senior Morgan Boas, senior Abby Wheeler, and junior Abigail Downy, and their theme was “The Price is Right”. Wheeler was the announcer and Taguchi, Boas and Downy were the contestants.

Sophomore Jacob Bowman, mellophone player, said, “The only downside is how cold it is”. The temperature that day was 44 degrees. Bowman thought that the music was played better during the parade than the morning practice and that the parade went very well. This year Bowman made a last minute decision to dress up as an Umbrella Corps zombie and he said, “It’s cool to get to do something like marching for the high school marching band and wear something so far from our uniforms.”

The band made their last parade something to remember with their unique and funny costumes.