SHS Community Members Have Mixed Opinions on SRT

Teacher and student speak on the uses of SRT

The intention of SRT was to give students a chance to connect with one another by joining clubs, talking with one another, and even having pep meetings.  It can also be used to get help from teachers. As the years have gone by, more and more problems seem to occur during  SRT, leading some to wonder if it is being used correctly at all.

Ava Shuler, a student here at SHS who’s a part of Jazz and Marching band, Theater, and choir, believes that SRT is useful but maybe isn’t being used correctly. Ava started off by saying, “First, I want to say if it wasn’t for SRT I wouldn’t be here for this interview,” and explained her reasoning for what it should be used for, “Well the intended purpose of SRT is to study, get help from teachers, get your missing work or homework done so technically that is what I would use it for.”  She went on to say that it can be used as a good break in the day so some students can catch up on sleep or just sit and catch their  breath, while some may use it to damage school property and do some “not so nice things”.  When asked if anything needs to be added or taken away Shuler said, “I think there needs to be more opportunities to give kids more stuff to do because I feel if you aren’t a part of any clubs, or don’t need to make up any tests or work you just sit there”. She went on to say that, ” A lot of kids don’t have time for after school due to jobs, have to take their siblings somewhere, or have no way to stay or get here. I also think it is a good thing for an extra rehearsal on a plain [normal] day, or if there’s a musical we use SRT a lot every single day to work on songs, to build sets, costumes and it is a very vital time.”

On the other hand, Mrs. Cottrill, an English teacher at SHS, believes that SRT isn’t used correctly and should be replaced.  She explained that “The original intended purpose of SRT was for bus kids to do something and be a part of something but now not so much.”  She goes on to describe a new idea to replace SRT, “I think we should do a homeroom meetup on a certain day and do a follow up on all the students and how they are doing. I think it should be called Parliament Time due to owls flying in what’s called a parliament. During this time as well we could cover topics that students need to learn about like Can Do U.”

SRT has many positives and negatives, and many teacher’s and students use this time wisely to grade, set up new assignments, get what they need done, or to take a breather. Though there are different views on SRT, for now SHS needs to make the best of it.