Accepting Change

Gay Pride Flag

Gay Pride Flag

Chloe Williams, Staff Writer

The LGBTQ+ community makes up a moderate percentage of the students at SHS. LGBTQ+ stands for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, plus. The amount of students that are in the community, and that are open about it have increased as years have gone on. In the past, society has not been as accepting of these individuals. Older generations were brought up and raised in a different time. They were more conservative. Society has evolved and many now see things from a different perspective. Current generations seem to be more accepting of the kids that are in the LGBTQ+ community. 

According to the 2010 census “there are approx­i­mately 594,000 same-sex cou­ple house­holds liv­ing in the U.S. and more than 125,000 of those house­holds include nearly 220,000 chil­dren under age 18.  Fur­ther, there are as many as 6 million Amer­i­can chil­dren and adults who have an LGBTQ par­ent.” On June 26, 2015 the Supreme Court ruled same-sex marriage legal in all 50 states. Gay couples can become foster parents, and they can adopt children. Before, society seemed to treat the community as something to look down on. We definitely have advanced in the rights that they give to the people in the LGBTQ+ community.

The 2010 census also reported, “55.5% of LGBT students felt unsafe at school because of their sexual orientation, and 37.8% because of their gender expression.” School should be a safe environment for all students and staff. A number of students get harassed, assaulted, and picked on for simply being different. This behavior is reported sometimes, but some of the abuse goes unnoticed. Most kids are scared to stand up for themselves in these situations, and others stand around and watch and don’t tell people what they witnessed. You have to be the change in the world you want to see. We are evolving, but we are not all the way to full acceptance.

According to The Trevor Project “In a national study, 40% of transgender adults reported having made a suicide attempt. 92% of these individuals reported having attempted suicide before the age of 25.” It is more likely for homosexual people to contemplate, attempt, or to commit suicide. It is a hard thing to cope with without having support, plus the hate that you get on social media, and in the classroom. Depression and substance abuse also are more likely for LGBTQ+ people. All in all the community is evolving, and people are learning to be okay with who they are. We have a long way to go but we are stepping in the right direction.