Oklahoma teen dies after brutal assault

Oklahoma teen dies after having their head beaten into the floor by 3 girls.
Oklahoma teen dies after brutal assault

Story UPDATE on March 13, 2024. https://time.com/6923811/nex-benedict-death-ruled-suicide-oklahoma-medical-examiner/

“OKLAHOMA CITY — The death of a nonbinary student the day after a fight inside an Oklahoma high school restroom has been ruled a suicide, the state medical examiner’s office said Wednesday.

Boatman would not confirm whether or not police found a note from Benedict at the scene.

On February 7, Sophomore Dagny/Nex Benedict, 16, was involved in a school brawl at Owasso High School in suburban Tulsa. A school staff member had broken the fight up after Benedict and another classmate were battered for an extended period-reportedly by three older female students.

The family’s obituary used female pronouns, but Sue Benedict told reporters that her teen was non-binary and used the name “Nex.” The heartbroken family said Benedict’s friend and other victim were also non-binary.

The mother said Nex was often bullied at school and had fallen and hit her head while still being attacked. Benedict had suffered bruising and cuts across her face as a result of the attack. Benedict’s mother had told them, “You’ve got to be strong and look the other way because these people don’t know who you are.” Sue then said, “I didn’t know had bad it had gotten.”

Reporters quoted the mother of the other victim, who said her child saw Nex being attacked and the assailants “beating her head across the floor.” Nex Benedict, according to reports, was unable to reach the nurse’s office because of the injuries they sustained. Nex’s stunned relatives called police from the hospital to inform them of the fight.

The next day Nex was released but would have to be readmitted the next, Feb. 8, where they tragically died. Sue Benedict said her child collapsed at home on the way to an appointment the day of their death. Local police said they are still determining the cause of death, but the mother believes Benedict suffered severe trauma from the attack.

“I think complications from brain trauma, head trauma, is what caused it,” the mother of the other victim told reporters.

The cause of the confrontation remains under investigation. Police said they are awaiting toxicology reports to determine if there was another possible underlying medical condition that caused Benedict’s tragic passing.

The Owasso Public School District has declined to comment on the case citing the ongoing investigation. The superintendent, Dr. Margaret Coates, had tweeted on Feb. 7 on X formally Twitter, “No drag queens in Oklahoma schools!” and wished everyone a Happy President’s Day.

It remained unclear if Nex Benedict’s attackers would face charges.

“She was a tough, but great kid,” her mother said at her funeral service last week according to the outlet.”I loved Dagny so much.” A GoFundMe account was set up by a friend of the family, Kasandra Phelps. Nex wasn’t a member of the nation but lived on a Cherokee reservation.

Police are expected to give updates on the case in the coming days.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/dagny-benedict