Seymour Baseball’s Sectionals Draw

Who the Seymour Owls drew, where at, and what time.
Seymour Baseballs Sectionals Draw

The high school baseball season is entering the final stretch, and the Owls will be looking to continue their dominance. Seymour is 11-3 on the season while being 3-2 in Hoosier Hills play. The Owls have 1 more month of games until the sectionals get started. Speaking of the sectionals, let’s get into Seymour’s sectionals draw.

The Owls will face a familiar opponent in the first round of the sectionals, New Albany. New Albany has a 10-7 record on the season. These teams have already played twice this season, splitting the series 1-1. Both teams know each other well, but New Albany has a few tricks up their sleeve. Bulldogs senior pitcher Chase Loesch has been one of the best pitchers in the state this year, racking up 36 strikeouts in 28 innings pitched, while having a 2.25 ERA. The Bulldogs also have Junior pitcher Sean Rose who has probably been better than Loesch this season. Rose is 4-0 on the season while having a 2.10 ERA. Rose has pitched 26.2 innings this season and has only given up 19 hits and 8 runs.

Now let’s look at some of Seymour’s best players. The Owls are led by University of Indianapolis commit Bret Perry, and Franklin commit Gavin Leavy. Seymour has also had a lot of great contributors this year, including senior Jack Pennington who is batting .536 on the season while leading the team in on-base percentage, stolen bases, and slugging percentage. Another key player for the Owls is sophomore Aaron Holt who is 3rd in batting percentage, 2nd in on-base percentage, 1st in runs scored, and 1st in doubles hit. Senior Gavin Leavy leads the Hoosier Hills with 3 home runs. Junior Braden Richey leads the Hoosier Hills with 45 strikeouts.

The last time these two teams faced off against each other Seymour won the game 6-2, but in the game previous New Albany defeated the Owls 8-4. Seymour will get to play New Albany at home and should thrive with the home-field advantage. If New Albany throws either Chase Loesch or Sean Rose then this game should be great, and if all of Seymour’s best hitters are on their A-game then this should be one of the best games in the sectionals. 

If Seymour defeats New Albany they will play the winner of the Jeffersonville (8-7) vs Evansville Central (10-7) game. Seymour has been great this season, and I don’t expect that to stop anytime soon. The date has not been released yet. Let’s show up and support our Owls during the sectionals. Owls Will!