Honor the Honor Band

Anna Massengale, Staff Writer

On November 19, thirteen students from Seymour High School attended the Indiana Band Association All-District Honor band at Shelbyville High School. Students sign up online for All-District Honor band. If the band director sees  potential in them and their abilities match then they got recommended. Once accepted, pieces of music are given to students to practice and look over by themselves.

Students accepting in All-District honor band pay $35  for the weekend during registration. Students began practicing at 9:00 AM. They went over the music together then had lunch at twelve. The students were split up into sections after that.  At 4:00 PM students are released with their new knowledge of the rhythms and tempo of the music.

Kevin Cottrill, band director, said that the number of students that got into honor band this year is larger than previous years. The students that made it into honor band include: Senior Josiah Massengale, Junior Janet Taguchi, Sophomore Harrison Cottrill, Sophomore Sarah Davis, Senior Dustin Morris, Sophomore Bailee Wolfe, Junior Brandon Holtman, Senior Chloe Bryden, Senior Ora Lovett, Junior Baleigh Penrose, Sophomore Grace Rennekamp (alternate) Sophomore Morgan Sargent, and Senior Jacob Voss.

Cottrill says that Seymour students always try their best to perform to their abilities. “The music chosen this year will challenge, motivate, inspire our students.”

Senior trombone player Josiah Massengale has participated in honor band for three years. However, this will be his first year at Seymour High School, and he was quite shocked when he heard who had gotten in. Massengale started learning how to play the trombone when he was nine years old. Massengale says, “Music is like the audible color of the world. If music was not existent then the world would kinda seem like it was black and white.” That’s why Massengale was really excited to go to honor band. Honor band is a honor to be a part of and Massengale is excited to be involved with it.