Hating on a day of love?

Hating on a day of love?

Anna Massengale, Staff Writer

On February 14th squeals from girls and rustles of balloons could be heard at Seymour High School for Valentine’s day, a day for all couples (or friends) to show their love for the people they love.

Typically, students show their love by giving their significant other or friend treat of some sort. Chocolates is the most common thing that people give to their friends, family or significant other. Valentine’s day is also a day for people to confess their love to their crushes or ask someone out.

Most couples give each other gifts and spend a lot of money on their significant but Morgan Boas did something a little more lasting than gifts and treats with her boyfriend. Boas has been dating her boyfriend for “one year and 11 months to be exact” so this would be their second year spending Valentine’s day together. Boas went to her boyfriends house so he could make her dinner and, since it was Ash Wednesday they went to church together.

Boas thinks that Valentine’s day should be for for happiness. “I think Valentine’s day is fun but it’s disappointing to see so many people hate it.” Some people believe that love should not be measured in gifts or treats, it should be shown every day.

In grade school for Boas, they would hand out valentines on Valentine’s day. She thinks that this special day is not only special for couples but for people to be nice to each other and show how much they appreciate them as a friend or as a person or as significant other. And most students at Seymour High School would agree. Boas and her boyfriend did not spend any money on each other but Boas still got gifts from her friends. She was not the only one either. Many students at SHS could be seen carrying flowers, gift bags, and treats on Valentine’s day.