Leland Wins Microsoft Excel Competition

Leland Wins Microsoft Excel Competition

Chloe Williams, Staff Writer

The Microsoft Office Specialist U.S. National Championship presented by Certiport, Inc. is a competition that tests students’ skills on Microsoft Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint.  Top students are invited to represent their respective states at the U.S. National Championship. In some states, students are invited to participate in a Statewide Championship, and the winners of that event continue on to the U.S. National Championship in Atlanta, Georgia on June 13th through the 15th. Junior Daniel Leland is a student from Seymour High School and has won the opportunity to participate in the National Championship.

Daniel has been given a certificate for his achievements. He got involved in this through the Digital Apps 2 course offered here at the high school. Anyone can get involved in it through the Microsoft Office Specialist certification program.  If they pass one of the MOS Certification Tests, their score may be entered, and if they have achieved a high enough score, they may be invited to the National Championship.

The prizes that the students will win if you are in first place will be $3,000, a medal of achievement, a trophy, a winners certificate, and an all expense paid trip to compete in the MOS (Microsoft Office Specialist) World Championship. If they are in second place they will get $1,500, a medal of achievement, and a winner’s certificate. A contestant placing third will also receive a cash prize of  $750, a medal of achievement, and a winner’s certificate.