Testing, Testing, Testing

Luz Leal, Staff Writer

The time to take the AP exams is over, but there are many that decided to take the chance to take the exam. There are 12 AP courses offered at Seymour High School, ranging from English to Mathematics or Science. There are many to choose from. It is a test that can offer college credit if a student scores with a 3 or higher. The aim of the test is to be on the pathway for college. Not all universities or colleges accept the credit taken from the AP tests; however, it shows that the student is willing to endure a long rigorous test. The tests cost $98 and there is an extra $10 after the priority deadline.

The AP tests’ scoring ranges from a 1-5, with a 5 being the highest. A five exemplifies a student that is incredibly qualified to receive the college credit. With a 4 or a 3 the student also meets the requirements for receiving the college credit. The tests require a lot of studying, just as any other test of course. According to Mr. Urbanski, the AP World History teacher, “Besides in class preparation, you need certified preparation, with media the sources are unlimited.” It is true that there are many sources that are incredible ways to prepare for the AP exam. One of them is The College Board, a nonprofit organization that proudly offers a range of many practice question for any subject. It is a reliable source that will aid any student in their road to success for a 5. Another source is a book by The Princeton Review, it is a hefty paperback book that provides an abundant amount of practice tests; unlike The College Board it is not free, but it can provide further practice if needed. It is important to provide the finest level of work for these exams, so it can prove the full potential of the student and their knowledge. As Mr. Perry says, “Just as the toilets in Elf, the students’ vocabulary should be ginormous.” It is truly imperative to apply all the previous learned knowledge from classes on to the AP exams.

The exams are only a couple months away! Beginning toward the middle of May, the tests normally take 2-3 hours each, but they are all taken on different dates. There are many resources available in order to do well, ask teachers for further help, and do not procrastinate! The wisest option for anyone taking the AP exam is to begin studying and timing now that it’s still early. It is never advised to leave it all for the last minute.

Sources:

Picture by Luz Leal

https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/home?navId=aru-aps

http://shs.scsc.k12.in.us/student-services/ap-course-information