Concert Bands Compete

High school sports teams compete at different events against other teams around the district, and then state. Concert bands are no different. This year, Mr. Kevin Cottrill, director of bands at SHS, and Mr. Kyle Lutes, assistant director, are preparing two of the three bands for competition: Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble. The Wind Ensemble is performing pieces English Folk Song Suite – I. March – “Seventeen Come Sunday” (Ralph Vaughan Williams), God of Our Fathers (Claude T. Smith) and Ride (Samuel Hazo).  The Symphonic Band on the other hand is performing pieces Drive (Patrick Roszell), An Irish Rhapsody (Clare Grundman), and Charm (Kevin Puts).

[Kevin Cottrill]

Q: What do you think of the ISSMA event?

A: I have always supported ISSMA Band events like District and State Solo & Ensemble Contest.  The organizational contest was originally offered to help concert bands of all sizes and instrumentation participate and be evaluated with three professional educators on a predetermined performance rubric. I have always believed that this is an incredible evaluation of what is actually happening in a band program.  What is actually being taught? What are my students actually learning? Is it equal? Continuous musical growth and learning are vitally important to ISSMA and to me.

Q: It is worth the stress, effort, and tensions created?

A: I’d say that anything in life that is worthwhile takes effort, passion, and intensity.  I am hardwired to be this way. With high expectations for success, you’ll have some stress and tension.  Because ISSMA Concert Band is new to most of our students, we will have some challenges. But, you should also enjoy the music making process.  I think that we do a good job balancing this in our program.

Q: How does this help the developing musician?

A: ISSMA events give our students other professional feedback from three highly trained educators and this makes the process valuable.  Students get to listen to and read the comments and this provides a great learning opportunity.

Q: What type of musician would you suggest take part in something like this?

A: All of our students in Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble will participate. This is about 60% of our band population. Next year, we may take everyone. If you are in band, you go to contest.

Q: What are your thoughts towards the musician that denies taking part in this because he or she thinks it will not help them – at the high school level?

A:  If a student actually thought this, I’d sit down and try to explain the process in a different way.  In 25 years, I’ve never had a student in any of my bands who didn’t want to participate. Our program is based on a performance centered model.  Athletes compete against other teams in other cities and towns. From this competition, athletic growth occurs. No team wants to just practice all the time.  As musicians, we should want to perform within and outside our small community. These ISSMA performances allow our students to travel to Columbus, Indianapolis, Shelbyville, and New Albany.  Our bands receive valuable feedback and travel through a performance process that promotes growth and musical excellence.

[Harrison Cottrill]

A:  I think that the ISSMA contest is a great opportunity for bands to show and share all of their hard work, dedication, and talent with others.

Q: Is it worth the stress, effort, and tensions created?

A: It is definitely worth all of the stress, effort, and tension. When the last note ceases it feels amazing to hear booming applause, to feel a rush of relief after a good performance.

Q: Do you think this helped you improve, and if so, how?

A: This for sure helped me improve, not only with calming of performance nerves, but with the meticulous rehearsal of music parts.

Q: Is it something that you would take part in again, and if so, why?

A:  I would take part in this again because it was an all-around great experience with music and friendship.

Q: What type of musician do you ideally see performing at this level?

A: I would ideally see a higher level musician performing at this level, but there are multiple levels to enter in, so it is an opportunity for musicians of all skill levels to perform.

The bands will perform at Columbus North High School on April 20 or 21. The exact date and time is unknown, but they will be released shortly. The bands will practice meticulously – as judges will critique everything about a piece of music – until that date arrives; for now, practice and anticipation are what members experience.