First Gay Teen Romance Movie from a Major Studio Producer

Chloe Williams, Staff Writer

“Love Simon” is a new movie that came out on March 16, 2018. Simon Spier is a closeted gay teenager attending high school in a suburb of Atlanta, Georgia. Simon hasn’t told his family or friends about his sexual orientation. He began talking to an anonymous classmate that is also closeted. The email exchange is uncovered by Martin, a blackmailer who threatens to out Simon to the entire school unless Simon helps him get a date with one of his best friends. Simon is then forced to balance his friends, his family, and the blackmailer, while attempting to discover the identity of the anonymous classmate he has fallen in love with online.

21st Century Fox Movies described the movie as “Everyone deserves a great love story. But for seventeen-year old Simon Spier it’s a little more complicated: he’s yet to tell his family or friends he’s gay and he doesn’t actually know the identity of the anonymous classmate he’s fallen for online. Resolving both issues proves hilarious, terrifying and life-changing.” Greg Berlanti is the director of this movie. It was written by Isaac Aptaker and Elizabeth Berger.  It is based on the book, Simon vs. The Homo Sapien Agenda written by Becky Albertalli.  Wyck Godfrey, Pouya Shabazian, Marty Bowen, Isaac Klausner are the producers of this film.

It has gotten a 90% rating on rotten tomatoes. David Sims had described this movie as “Love, Simon is a funny, heartfelt, and truly touching teen romantic comedy that instantly becomes a modern classic for today’s generation.” Molly Freeman has said “Tender, sweet, and affecting, this is the mainstream romcom that gay teens might not have even known they needed. But when they watch it, they’ll find themselves deeply reflected.” Nick Robinson and Katherine Langford play the main characters in the film, Simon Spicer and Leah Burke.   

“Love, Simon” premiered at the Mardi Gras Film Festival on February 27, 2018 and it will be released in the United States on March 16, 2018, by 20th Century Fox. It is the first film ever released by a major studio to focus on a gay teenage romance.