“The Pop He Faked”: Drew Monson

The Pop He Faked: Drew Monson

Phoebe Hughel, Staff Writer

January 9, 2018 Drew Monson came out with the album “The Pop he Faked”. The album has a total of nine songs all totaling up to be about 30.04 minutes long. I started to listen to the album a few months after it was released and it was one of the best decisions I have made music wise. I would describe this type of music as alternative with some pop. It definitely has a laid back feeling and has powerful meaning in the lyrics. I listen to this album nonstop, and I cannot get enough of it.

Many people were cautious of listening to this album since Monson is a Youtuber. Many Youtubers have produced music, but it typically is not radio-worthy, nor is it good. Sadly, none of these songs have been on the radio, but they definitely have the quality to get there someday. Songs on the radio today are always being repeated, and they all sound the same. This album shows a different side of music that I want to see more of.

This music is definitely not everyone’s cup of tea, but it is my favorite album at the moment. It has calming music that is upbeat and puts me in a good mood. Monson has been playing the piano for so long and he has it as the background music in this album and it is just so beautiful. My favorite song on the album is “Stupid Now”. The lyrics hit me very hard and I relate to the lyrics on a personal level. “Someone says I’m screamin’ when I’m not, reminds me that percievin’s all we got”, these lyrics make me feel as though I’m not conscious of my pain and I’m just allowing it to continue to beat me up until I break.

No matter what type of music a person listens to, it all has meaning in some way or form. This music has meaning to me because it hits me at a personal level. His songs are so deep and they tell a story. I relate to these stories in some way, shape, or form. I believe that many other students, and even adults can listen to Monson’s music, relate to it, and enjoy it.

This is one album I could listen to 24/7 and never get tired of it. The music is great for relaxing, sleeping, and just having something to listen to. I’m the type of person where when I find music I love, I listen to it on repeat until I cannot listen to it anymore. I’m happy to say that this will not happen to me with this album.