National Honor Society

Megan Smith, Staff Writer

National Honor Society is a nationwide organization for high school students in the United States. National Honor Society inducted 57 Seymour High School students into the organization on Monday, April 16. Sophomore Erin Nelson said she decided to apply to be a part of NHS because she cares about her academics and she knows that  “NHS is an organization full of other people” who are like her. She is not sure what she is most excited for about NHS but she does enjoy “getting out in the community” and giving her time to help local organizations.

National Honor Society offers service projects that allow people to build teamwork capabilities, make friends, and overall gain valuable life skills. National Honor Society has awarded more than 16,000 scholarships totalling more than $13 million to seniors who best reflect their values. NHS main goals are: to create enthusiasm for scholarship, to stimulate a desire to render service, to promote leadership, and to develop character in students. Sophomore Emma Gillapsy says she is “very excited” for NHS and all of the volunteer opportunities that they will put forth.

According to nhs.us , students become members by being selected as a candidate by a chapter’s faculty council. Students who meet their chapter’s cumulative GPA requirement are then considered to become a member on the basis of service, leadership and character. Sophomore Abigail Boyt said she decided to apply for NHS because “nobody else in my family has had an opportunity to be a part of it.”