“Love Simon” Review

Chloe Williams, Staff Writer

“Love Simon” is a movie that really captures the gay romance aspect. The plot line really catches what it is like to be a closeted gay teenager in today’s society. I feel like teenagers going through the same thing could really relate. Also, teenagers that aren’t part of the community could get a glimpse of what the kids are really facing.

The producers portrayed it in a way that teenagers could understand. It also is an interracial relationship. The plot of the movie is a teenage boy that is in high school. He is a closeted gay and he starts emailing another kid online. They both end up coming out to each other but they both have aliases, so they do not actually know who the other boy is. They go through high school, emailing each other and talking everyday. One day Simon accidentally leaves his email open in the school library, and a kid sees, and uses it against him. He blackmails him into getting Simon’s best friend to like him. If he doesn’t he threatens to out him to the whole school.

They really got the whole high school aspect with the characters too. He was a white teenage boy that came from a middle class family with a mom and dad and sister. He obviously also had a really big secret. He had best friends since he was young, and they hung out everyday and drove to school together and such. He had his typical bullies, and the annoying kid that threatened to tell the whole school.

The movie got a 92% on Rotten Tomatoes, and a 72% on Metacritic. “Tender, sweet, and affecting, this is the mainstream romcom that gay teens might not have even known they needed. But when they watch it, they’ll find themselves deeply reflected.” was said by Joyce Slaton. I can agree with her because it really did portray the gay romance in a tender way, and in a way I feel like others can relate to.

Simon was basic, and boring in some ways. He was quiet, and didn’t talk to many people. He was shy and backwards but I feel that it helped the plot, because I feel that stereotypically closeted guy teenagers are more timid. “The ferris wheel is the other perfect parallel to Love, Simon, not the most thrilling ride in the park, a little slow, utterly predictable, perhaps even welcoming the label of “boring.” was said by Emily Yoshida. I can also agree with her because the scene at the end with the Ferris Wheel really was a good way for the movie to end. It left it alone without questions.

Chloe Williams, Staff Writer

I am a junior this year at SHS and it is my second year in newspaper. I enjoy opinion pieces and features. Journalism and writing is just a passion of...