Owls Outduel Columbus North Tuesday Night

After defeating Jeffersonville in five sets on Saturday, the Owls beat the Columbus North Bull Dogs in four sets on Tuesday.

Mrs. Cottrill

The Owls celebrate after scoring the match winning point

Brandon Terrell, Sports Editor

Following one of Seymour volleyball’s worst season ever (8-25), the Owls are off to a good start. After defeating Jeffersonville in five sets on Saturday, the Owls beat the Columbus North Bull Dogs in four sets on Tuesday. The first set was tied at 13-13, until the Owls went on a 7-0 run, taking a 20-13 lead. The Bull Dogs came back, making the score 22-20, but the Owls pulled away, while Junior Sophia Stahl ended the game with a kill, putting Seymour up 1-0.

The Owls maintained momentum heading into the second set, taking an early 7-4 lead. The Bull Dogs then bounced back, taking a 9-8 lead forcing Seymour coach Angie Lucas to call a timeout.

The Lady Owls were leading the set 22-17, but after a big kill, the Bull Dogs started a rally. Seymour was then up 24-22, but they gave up two points in a row, and ended up losing the set 29-27.

Seymour won the third set 25-21, giving them a 2-1 lead, one set away from victory.

With Columbus North up 12-7 early in the fourth set, the Owls needed a big push to avoid going into a fifth set. The Owls got the push, and battled back, making the score 21-19, forcing North to call a timeout. Down, 23-19, the Owls scored, giving the serve to junior Carlee Robinson. She had four serves in a row, including an ace that hit the net and rolled over, landing right in front of all the North defenders. Giving the Owls their second win of the season.

Senior Jessica Blevins led the Owls offense by going 45-for-52 on hits with 15 kills. Senior Makenna Fee had 10 kills, and Sophomore Maddie Storey had four. Seymour tallied 37 kills as a team.

The Lady Owls play again on Saturday, August 18th at Madison. Their next home game is against Columbus East on Tuesday, August 21st. Come out to support the Lady Owls!