Should SHS have a GSA?

Phoebe Hughel, Staff Writer

Many students and staff at Seymour High School do not know what a GSA is. A GSA is a gay-straight alliance. Google’s definition for GSA is “a student-run club, typically in a high school or middle school, which provides a safe place for students to meet, support each other, talk about issues related to sexual orientation and gender identity and expression, and work to end homophobia and transphobia.”

When this questions got asked on social media, many people responded with their thoughts. Junior, Phoebe Sweet said, “If lead by the right people, a GSA would be great. It would bring a lot of support and comfort to the LGBT+ community of our school, and it could educate others on sexuality further than just health class, and help combat homophobia and transphobia. It would really would make the school more inclusive.” A GSA is not to bring people out of the closet without their knowledge. It is not to hurt any who is confused by their sexual orientation or gender. It is a support group to help those identify who they truly are and to help them open up the parents and friends about it.

Many students of the LGBT+ community are sometimes afraid to come to school. Many students either do not understand the LGBT+ community, or they don’t agree with it because it goes against their beliefs. Sophomore, Chloe Hudson says, “If our school had a GSA, closeted and open students are more likely to feel safe and comfortable when walking through the doors.” When students can be comfortable in their own bodies, then they can be comfortable around students, but this cannot happen until most, if not all, students can have acceptance of this.

Everyone is entitled to their views and opinions, but some opinions may hurt others. Students and staff need to understand other students in the LGBT+ community. Growing up in a conservative household with parents being against LGBT+ people, could lead students to believing that all LGBT+ people are evil. In reality these students are just being themselves living their lives how they want. Junior, Brooklyn Zabel says, “It would be so nice to have a supportive club and a place where people can advocate for their rights and acceptance in a place where there are so many homophobic people.”

Many students would like Seymour High School to have a GSA. Especially students of the LGBT+ community need a place where they can come together and talk about issues that are going on. The only problem is this club does not currently exist. Students have tried to start this club, but it has never happened. If this club is going to happen, representatives, members and leaders will be needed. At least 40 states across the country have a GSA, totaling up to at least 1,100 clubs registered with the GSA network. Should Seymour High School get a GSA?

Phoebe Hughel, Staff Writer

I am a Junior this year at Seymour High School. My passions involve makeup, art, ballet, and creating music playlists. I enjoy writing and sharing my opinions...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Should SHS have a GSA?”

1. Shs student on December 19th, 2018 11:40 am

No

2. Shawna Boas on January 9th, 2019 10:52 am

Yes, SHS needs a GSA. The LGBT students need to know who their allies are. The overall vibe of SHS needs to be more inclusive and welcoming.

3. ARed on January 17th, 2019 10:22 am

yES

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Should SHS have a GSA?

Clubs

Trick or Treat for Canned Goods

• Should SHS have a GSA?

Clubs

Join Key Club

• Should SHS have a GSA?

Clubs

Un, Deux, Trois…

• Clubs

Photography Club Starts at SHS

• Clubs

Put some “PEP” in your step!

• Should SHS have a GSA?

Clubs

Global Accent Club

• Should SHS have a GSA?

Clubs

Love for Latin Club

• Should SHS have a GSA?

Clubs

Go Out And Smell the Rosies!

• Should SHS have a GSA?

Clubs

Bring Positivity to Students

• Clubs

ANNOUNCEMENT: Shakespeare? Not quite.

Should SHS have a GSA?