Senior Wins National Title at STEPS All Stars

Robert Smith, Editor

Marissa Barger wins National Title in Senior Hip Hop Solo at the STEPS All Stars competitive dance program.

What is STEPS All Stars?

STEPS All Stars is a competitive dance program geared towards dancers that are ready for a challenge. The program is in its eighth year. Currently, there are three teams based out of Vernon and one team based out of Seymour. Teams are formed through an audition during the last week in May. The auditions last three days, two of those days stressing technique and learning a routine, and the last day when you perform before the coaches. All-Stars attend anywhere from five to eight competitions a year in the tri-state area. The All-Stars have competed at the Dance Worlds, which is the largest international competitive dance event in the world consisting of hundreds of teams from around the world, and the Dance Summit which is based out of Orlando, Florida. Her team also does non-competitive performances for the Indiana Pacers, Harlem Globetrotters, and Cincinnati Reds. They also dance in parades and at other local basketball games for Seymour.

How is the event scored?

Each team/soloist performs in front of a panel of judges that are trained to specifically pick out errors in stage spacing, technique, and overall performance. The judges each score our dance and average out all the scores. The average of all the scores is our final score, and our final score is compared to all the other competitors in our division. The team/soloist with the highest average score wins the division. Depending on the competition, first place can receive a variety of different things. If you win first place at a regional competition, you will most likely receive a medal, and your studio will receive a trophy to take back to their gym. At a national competition, you win a jacket (shown above), a medal, and a national title. Marissa also competes on the Senior Hip Hop team called the Diamonds. Her team practices take place in Vernon on Monday and Wednesday nights from 7-8:30, and her solo practices are on Fridays in Seymour from 4-4:30.

Interview with Marissa Barger:

“At Dance Super Nationals, I won my national title in Senior Hip Hop solo. My highest points on my score sheet were for my attitude and character throughout the routine, overall endurance, and control in my tricks. I have been dancing since I was three. I danced for ten years at Tammy’s Dance Studio, and five years at STEPS Dance Center. I have been competing for four years. I also teach dance classes for kids ages three to nine on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Dance will always be a big part of my life, even after high school. I am more than grateful for every single opportunity that dance has given me since I was a little girl. My dream was to be on a competitive team and to teach dance, and it’s an amazing feeling to know that I’m making my five year old self proud. My plans after high school consist of studying Special Education K-12 and to continue to teach dance classes in Seymour.”