Child Drag Queens

Back to Article
Back to Article

Child Drag Queens

Phoebe Hughel, Staff Writer

Drag Queens have been around for many years. Some people may look at them as freaks while others look at them like they are walking art pieces. Drag Queens are a big part of the LGBT+ community because they are typically gay men who cross dress for the entertainment of others. There is also something called a Drag King when it is women who cross dress, but it is not as big as Drag Queens.

In the past few years, children have begun to dress up in drag. Some adults view this as child abuse while others love it because the child is just being expressive by clothing. Toddlers and Tiaras was a huge show on TLC around 2009-2016. Many adults viewed this as a form of child abuse because the children were shown not wanting to compete in the pageants. One specific episode a little girl named Brenna was chased by the camera crew while she was having a break down. This was around the time the show got cancelled.

A performer named Desmond Is Amazing is one of the many child Drag Queens. His real name is Desmond Napoles and he is only 11 years old. He identifies as gay and he has been out since a very young age. Some adults look at this as bad parenting or attention seeking. Desmond’s parents are allowing him to be expressive in the way he wants to. Even him being at such a young age, him coming out as gay is not him seeking for attention. No one chooses to be gay as it is a feeling. Desmond has felt this ever since he began to have crushes.

Before Desmond was in Kindergarten, his parents exposed him to gay culture such as drag shows, and pride parades. Desmond’s parents stated that when he was two or three years old he began to gravitate towards the show Rupaul’s Drag Race. According to his parents he is on the autism spectrum and drag helps him relieve the symptoms.

The reason that Desmond doing drag is not child abuse is because this is his choice. He was exposed to drag culture, but he decided to join it himself. It helps with his autism symptoms and he is happy when he is in drag. Being a child and performing in drag can be extreme in some cases, but his parents are fine with him doing this and he is happy when he is doing it. Since drag is a big part of the LGBT+ community, it is a big part of his life.

1 Comment

One Response to “Child Drag Queens”

1. BOB on March 15th, 2019 11:54 am

Only for acting….

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Features

Jeff Perry’s Advice for Students!

• Child Drag Queens

Features

The story behind Annabelle

• Child Drag Queens

Features

Save the bees

• Child Drag Queens

Features

Seymour Seniors Sign to Continue Athletic Career Throughout College

• Child Drag Queens

Features

Destroying the Hate, Brick by Brick

• Child Drag Queens

Features

The Pink Tax

• Child Drag Queens

Features

The Black Dahlia Murder

• Child Drag Queens

Features

WikiLeaks Co-Founder Arrested in London, May Be Extradited to USA

• Child Drag Queens

Features

The Strange World of Dry Needling

• Child Drag Queens

Features

Student Spotlight: Brett Kleber

Child Drag Queens