Student Spotlight: Brett Kleber

Kirby Hill, Staff Writer

Brett Kleber is a senior at SHS this year and has participated in cross country, gymnastics, and track for all four years. As well as one year of diving her senior year, making her a 4-sport athlete. And as if that isn’t impressive in itself, she also has a total of 13 varsity letters. Needless to say Brett deserves recognition for the effort she has put into her athletic career here at SHS. I asked her the following questions:

What makes sports worth it for you? 

“Doing sports is worth it to me, because I love doing it. I’ve always had a passion for sports. I love the team bond, the friendships you make, and all of the memories you get to make with everyone you’re around.”

Can you share some highlights of your sports career?

In cross country, Brett qualified for Regionals and Semi-state all four years as well as qualifying for State her freshman and sophomore years. She qualified for gymnastics Regionals her junior and senior years and was able to go to state her junior year. In her first year of diving, she got 4th at the Hoosier Hills conference and qualified for regionals her senior year. For track, she qualified for the 4×4 relay her freshman year and qualified again her sophomore year.

What made you decide to do diving your senior year and how was that experience?

” I’ve always wanted to try something new. I started running in 6th grade. I had also been doing gymnastics for 12 years. With just doing cross country, gymnastics, and track I was always around the same friends and people. Being apart of the Swim/Dive team I made so many memories and new friendships. I also got to try so many different things with being involved in the sport. Joining the swim/ diving team was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.”

Out of your 4 sports, do you have a favorite?

“Out of the 4 sports, I would say diving was my favorite. I was my favorite because it was different and I got to try something I’ve never done before. I loved the coaches and how much they were willing to work with me to make me better.”

What expectations do you have for yourself going into your final track season?

“My expectations going into this track season is to drop time in events I run. The 3200 relay, 300m hurdles and 4×4 relay. Also qualify for regionals in one of these events.”