Dear SHS…A School Year Gone Too Soon

Ellen Zabor, Staff Writer

Dear Seymour High School,

I don’t even know where to start. I feel like so many things happened this year, and also my freshman year that I don’t remember or think are that important in my high school career. I have made many new friendships and incredible memories during my first two years at Seymour High School. I never thought in my entire lifetime that we would go through a pandemic like this. Although this has been a struggling time for most, I have found what is truly important to me. I have learned that things can be taken away in the blink of an eye.

My freshman year at Seymour High School was one of the happiest years of my life. I can remember the first day of school still so vividly. I can remember getting to school at 7:40 AM because I was so nervous and had to have someone show me around just one more time before my first year started. I remember walking into my first class, Spanish I, feeling like I was going to throw up. Although my nerves got the best of me, I wouldn’t trade my first day of freshman year for anything. I didn’t know back then that my freshman year was going to open so many doors for me. I met so many people that shaped me into the person I am today and created so many memories I will never forget. I got to experience what a true team feels playing soccer at Seymour High School. I was apart of my first varsity team and a player on a sectional roster. I was pushed out of my comfort zone plenty of times, but ultimately that is what made my freshman year so remarkable. I would have never done the things I have done if I wasn’t pushed out of my safety bubble.

To my sophomore year, you were cut too short. From the beginning, I knew it was going to be a year to remember. I had a feeling of walking through those common doors that this year was going to be different. I still am yet to figure out what all made this school year different. Not only different because of COVID-19. None of us knew we would be going through a pandemic for most of the second semester of 2020. None of us knew this 2019-2020 school year was going to be cut short. This fall, I was a part of football homecoming court. Dressing up and walking in front of many people pushed me out of my comfort zone. I would have never thought I would have done that in all my high school years, but some things surprise us. Also this fall, my soccer team was so close to a sectional title. So close that it was determined by a penalty kick shootout. Watching that game still hurts to watch knowing that we were so close. Aside from soccer, I became best friends with a senior I had known for a while, but never really knew in dept. Thinking back now, I have no idea what I would do without her. She is my best friend and someone I always go to when things aren’t right. This year I also got my license. I love being able to go drive around when I can, its a different kind of freedom. It’s hard to admit, but I do miss all the rides my mom and dad gave me through the years. To my sophomore year, thank you for the experiences you brought me, the friendships I made, and the unforgettable memories.

My heart breaks for all the seniors. Not being able to experience their senior prom, play their last senior spring sport, or receive their diploma they have been working for. Seniors, you deserve that. But one thing I think we can all learn going through this pandemic is to not take even the simplest things for granted. I took going to school, seeing my friends, driving to town, and being able to play soccer for granted and I didn’t even realize it. I am truly blessed. I am blessed through my close family and friends, the sport I love to play, and my education. I’m am blessed with the food on my plate and a home to sleep under. Once this virus blows past us, I hope everyone will realize how truly blessed they are. I hope everyone realizes what they once took for granted and what is most important to them.

Here’s to two more years at SHS!

With appreciation,

Ellen Zabor