Pros and Cons to e-Learning

Grace Skaggs, Staff Writer

The most talked about subject in the world today is probably the Coronavirus. There are currently 439,940 cases around the world, and that number is expected to go way up. Thousands of people are being quarantined in their homes for 2 or more weeks to help stop the spread of this virus. Thousands of people aren’t allowed to work and schools are shutting down, making students stay home as well. The schools aren’t just giving the students a really long break; the students have to do an online course of school called e-Learning. 

Some students like the idea of e-Learning and some don’t enjoy it.  There are many pros and cons to e-Learning. One advantage is that students have flexibility when doing e-Learning. Students can do all their work at different times to make it fit around what they have going on during the day. They also don’t have to stress about sitting in a classroom all day long listening to their teacher give a lecture. Students can do their work from anywhere and can get their work done when it normally wouldn’t be able to get done. 

There can also be disadvantages to doing work online. Students need to make sure that they have some sort of set structure and have the motivation to do their work. Without these, students can fall behind very quickly and then have a lot of work to make up in the future. Another disadvantage that schools are worried about is Wi-Fi. Some families don’t have Wi-Fi in their home which makes it hard for students to do their work. For the students who don’t have W-Fi in their home, here are a few providers that are trying to help families in need. 

• Comcast: offering 2 months free internet for new enrollees for qualifying families.
  • Charter Communications: announced that for 60 days the company will offer free Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi access to homes with K-12 and/or college students who do not already have a subscription. Installation fees will also be waived for these households. Enroll by calling 844-488-8395.
  • AT&T: announced it would not cancel service and would waive late fees for any wireless, home phone, broadband residential or small business customer experiencing hardships because of the coronavirus pandemic. Qualifying low-income households can have internet access through the Access from AT&T program for just $10 a month. Fixed Wireless Internet and Wireline customers can use unlimited internet data. AT&T will also keep public Wi-Fi hotspots open.
  • Metronet: waiving all installation fees. They will work with families on a case-by-case basis to meet their needs.