Seymour Baseball Wins Behind No-Hitter By Bret Perry

Casey Regruth, Sports Editor

A no-hit pitching performance by freshman Bret Perry boosted Seymour’s baseball team to a 10-0 run-rule victory over Corydon Central on Tuesday night at American Legion Field.

After recording his first varsity win against Madison one week ago, Perry followed up with an even better performance, giving up zero hits and allowing just five Corydon baserunners.

The freshman pitched all five innings for the Owls, striking out four hitters and walking only two. Perry’s efficiency was important. He threw a total of 74 pitches and forced Corydon (5-7) into four 1-2-3 innings.

“That’s what (Bret) has done all year,” Seymour head coach Jeremy Richey said. “He just throws strikes and he’s confident. He’s not going to overpower anybody, but he mixes it up really well. He just keeps getting people out.”

Perry benefitted from a productive Seymour offense, which scored eight of its ten runs in the first three innings.

After lead-off batter Charlie Longmeier reached base on an error, senior Brayden Wilson opened the scoring in the first inning with a deep two-run homerun over the leftfield wall.

In the second inning, a double off the bat of third baseman Brandon Hubbard scored designated hitter Skylar Cockerham, and a line-drive single by Perry gave the Owls a 4-0 going into the third.

Hubbard had two doubles, one run batted in, and a run scored.

“I took advice from Coach (Jason) Longmeier,” Hubbard said. “I definitely felt more comfortable tonight. I had a good round of batting practice before the game, so I tried to carry that over.”

Seymour broke the game open in the third inning, doubling their lead. Cockerham began the rally with a double into the gap that scored sophomore Vince Wilson.

After a walk by second baseman Andrew Levine loaded the bases for the Owls, Longmeier hit a deep triple off the rightfield wall that drove in three.

Longmeier finished 2-for-3 with 4 RBI.

“Once it hit the fence, I knew I had three,” Longmeier said, “so I made sure I ran through and got to third and got the three runs in. I’m seeing (the ball) a lot better. I’ve been working in the cage lately, working on my swing.”

Extra-base hits were important for the Owls, who recorded three doubles, one triple, and one home run.

“We saw (the ball) much better tonight,” Richey said. “I got after our guys a little after the first inning. We watched some 2-0 and 0-0 fastballs go by for strikes and that’s not something we can do. I thought our adjustment after that was much better. We were more aggressive at the plate and we barreled some balls up tonight.”

Tuesday’s win improves Seymour’s record to 6-5, taking them back above .500 on the season.

“Tonight’s win was good for us,” Richey said. “We just have to keep getting better every day. It starts with a night like tonight.”

The Owls’ next matchup is Thursday at Class 4A No. 1 Columbus North (15-0-1).