Remembering 9/11: 16 years later.

Zen Stripling, Staff Writer

September 11, 2001: a set of events compared to Pearl Harbor which would shock and change American culture, politics, and society as Americans knew it. September 11 would be the day that a terrorist group known as “Al Qaeda” was successful in killing over 2,900 Americans, and injuring over 6,000 more. Monday, September 11, 2017, is the 16th anniversary of this tragic day. With so much going on, many still remember where they were when the attacks took place.

Current principal at Seymour High School, Greg Prange, was in his office when the first hijacked plane hit the top of the World Trade Center on that September morning. “We didn’t have the best TV 16 years ago. We thought it was an accident, but as soon as the second plane hit, we knew it was a terrorist attack,” Prange recalled. People were fulfilled with terror, horror and awe, as the morning which had began so beautiful ended with thousands of people being killed and injured. “I think we just needed togetherness,” Prange added, as the nation had been under a major distress and feeling lost.

“I didn’t even know what terrorism was at the time,” said English teacher Corey Zaring, who was a 7th grader in Study Hall at a private school. “We thought we were in trouble,” Zaring said.

“The principal demanded we get out of the church, and people were in tears. It was crazy to be a 7th grader at the time.” With no detailed information as a youth, along with added confusion, his emotion was similar to others his age.

Teenagers cannot remember it simply because they were not there, but still feel the emotion due to being educated. Patriot Day will never been forgotten. Since September 11, 2001, authorities have found more bodies, evidence, and information linking the acts to the terrorist group  Al Qaeda. Leader of the group, known as Osama Bin Laden, was killed in May of 2011.