SHS students meet three Wall of Fame inductees

Landon Jones, Staff Writer

Recently, blasts from the past walked the halls of Seymour High School. These familiar faces were back at SHS to stay through the Wall of Fame induction.

On Friday, the 26th of August, Seymour High School introduced current juniors and seniors to three of the 2022 Wall of Fame inductees: Doctor Eric Fish, the CEO of Schneck Hospital, Teresa Wessel, a business woman who has helped non-profit organizations, and Captain Dan Deputy, a former Captain in the Coast Guard who demonstrated great leadership throughout his 20-year long career. 

During the ceremony, the inductees shared a few words of advice and fond memories of returning to their hometown and school. When being asked what they had been a part of at SHS, they all detailed numerous activities. 

During Doctor Eric Fish’s four years at SHS, his activities included football, basketball, and baseball. One of Dr.Fish’s fondest memories of high school was his run in the football state finals. When reflecting on the memories made here Dr. Fish said, “I think all four years here were great. I don’t think that I have one great memory, but it’s just when you come back, being in the halls, and I don’t think it’s just one particular great memory.” Fish also felt great about the changes to the school and said, “Being here today, obviously things change over 30 years, but all the changes and all the investments put into the school by the administrators for the kids’ education is wonderful, just wonderful.”

The French Club, the Diamondettes, and even an office worker while attending SHS, Teresa Wessel a business woman who has helped thousands of people who were in need. In her life she wanted to help the people who needed it and decided to help run a homeless shelter called “Horizon House” in Indianapolis. When asked how Seymour High School helped prepare her in the world she said, “I think the teachers and the administrative staff helped establish those ethics and values into giving back and getting involved.” Seymour High School also helped prepare her for college. She replied, “It [college] was harder and I had to study more, but in that way it helped me be prepared for college.¨ She believed her greatest achievement “was being able to help thousands of people in need of a hand.” She was happy to help others with nothing in return. 

After being enlisted in the Coast Guard for 20-years, being stationed in Cuba and Honolulu, and helping lead a ship and its fleet, Captain Dan Deputy was finally introduced to the students.  When asked about his activities at Seymour High School, Capt. Deputy said, “I was a part of the basketball team and baseball team even. Though I may have not done much, I was a part of the team and ran in the student office for three years: my freshman, sophomore, and senior years. During my junior year, I was class president for that year.”  He shared that he scored the last two points for Seymour in the Shields gymnasium before it closed for the high school. Capt. Deputy also helped with the Tribune.¨It was a weekly thing. Every Wednesday or something like that, we would gather up the points from all the games from all the counties and report them back and write an article on it.¨ When asked what led him to go on his path he said, “Well, as I kind of said in my speech, I didn’t know what I was going to really do after high school, but when I was thirteen, my family and [I] went to a Air Force graduation ceremony, and we just kind of [sneaked] in. When I saw the the jets go overhead, I knew I wanted to join the Air Forc. I didn’t, but I still joined the military.¨ He offered advice to the current students of Seymour High School: “Always keep your options open. When one [option]closes on you, don’t give up, but keep your options open.”