Tragic accident claims Marcus Booker’s life

Tragic accident claims Marcus Bookers life

Mrs. Laura Cottrill, Adviser

Marcus Booker, a member of the Seymour Owl family, died in a single-vehicle wreck Friday evening September 23 in far northeastern Jackson County, police reported to The Tribune. Marcus was born on September 3, 2006, in Columbus, Indiana, the son of Larry Montell and Brandy Lee Bragg Booker.

The crash, which also left four other people injured, was reported at about 10:10 p.m. in the 12000 block of East County Road 700N, according to a news release issued Monday by Jackson County Sheriff Rick Meyer.

Mr. Prange addressed the student body with the following message on September 26:

“Good morning.  It is with deep sorrow that I address you this morning.  Many of you are already aware, but Friday evening, SHS sophomore, Marcus Booker, passed away as the result of an automobile accident.  During times like this, we frequently ask questions like “Why?” or “What if?” but the truth is that none of us on earth know the answers to these questions.  No amount of effort will allow us to turn back the hands of time.  We will miss his sense of humor and contagious smile.  May we learn and remember that life is precious and should not be taken for granted.  Our prayers are with all of Marcus’ family and friends as we ask for peace, comfort, and understanding to help us all support each other through difficult times such as this.

At this time, I ask that you join me in a moment of silence in remembrance of Marcus Booker.

Thank you.  May God bless all of Marcus’ friends and family and also keep a watchful eye over all of us at SHS as we process this period of grief and move forward to face life’s challenges.”

Marcus was a student at JCLC and doing well with his studies. “At the beginning of this semester when Marcus, his family, and I sat to talk about his plans for graduating, I recognized Marcus as a nice young man ready to work and focus on achieving his diploma.   His words were kind and polite whenever he spoke with us, adding please & thank you,” JCLC teacher Jamie Armes said.

Mrs. Jane Bartsch, also his JCLC teacher, recalled, “What really stood out to me about Marcus was his polite and respectful demeanor.  When he was around me, he was quite the gentleman.  He also had an infectious smile that lit up the room.  In my last conversation with Marcus, we discussed the progress he was making in life.  I let him know how proud I was of him and that I just knew he was “going places.”   Little did I know where that place would be and how soon it would come.   While we cannot make sense of a tragedy of this magnitude, we can and should remember that every life matters and it is important that we remember that we are all just people who need grace.”  

Losing Marcus is a tragic reminder that life is precious and often too short. Marcus will be missed by all who knew him, and he will always be an Owl. Rest in peace, Marcus.

The following is the obituary from The Tribune’s staff writer:

He loved music, especially writing music. His passion about music could be seen in his dance also. With a brimming smile that could be compared to a ray of sunshine, Marcus had the unique ability to brighten your day. He would do anything for anyone as he had a heart of gold. Marcus was mechanically inclined and was very good with his hands. He attended Christ Covenant Church in Seymour. He enjoyed going to church and loved his God. Marcus had one true love – basketball. He played basketball for many years, including travel basketball with the Seymour Swish. Marcus will be deeply missed by those that knew and loved him. His enthusiasm for life and genuine character will not be forgotten.

Survivors include his parents, Larry and Brandy Booker; siblings, Taryn La’Shae Booker, Nyasia Aleece Bragg, Jeramia H. Byrum, Chloe Booker, Desiree Booker, Kyle Moxley, Madison Byrum, Deja Banks, Brooklyn Selfridge, Braylon Lawson; grandparents, Patricia J. Booker, Rev. Larry F. Rowe, Lynn M. Nickels; aunts, Jennifer (Scott) Golden, Prudence (Mark) Bush, Jessica Bragg, Tanya Rowe, Tiffany Rowe; uncles, Johnny Bragg, Scotty Bragg, Corey Booker, Reggie Booker, Adrian Lawler and many cousins.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Seymour Boys’ Basketball Booster Club.

Online condolences and special memories may be shared with Marcus’ family and a video tribute may be viewed on barkesweaverglick.com.

Unfortunately, The Owl staff did not have a more recent school photo.