Marching at IU Band Day

Anna Massengale, Staff Writer

On September 23, the Seymour Marching Owls participated in the 25th Annual Band Day at Indiana University. IU band day is a day where high school bands across the state come together and play during the half time of the IU game against Georgia Southern. The Marching Owls performed four songs: “Can’t Stop the Feeling” by Justin Timberlake, “Lips are Movin” by Meghan Trainor, “America the Beautiful” and concluded with “Indiana, Our Indiana.”
The band left Seymour High School at 9:00 a.m. and nearly an hour and a half to get to Indiana University Bloomington where students unloaded and then marched to the stadium. The Marching Owls met with the other bands from the state and started their morning practice. The band was situated on the east right side of the field next to the Marching Hundred. After the practice they marched back to North Central Church of Christ, a church near the stadium, and had lunch.
For the opening of the game the Marching Hundred performed the pre-game. When halftime came, the Seymour Marching Owls led some of the other bands onto the field. Freshman Johnathan Engleking said, “It was fun playing at halftime in front of hundreds of people.” He described the atmosphere as “electric”. Although the band performed in 96 degree weather, they still had a lot of fun just playing music.
After halftime several of the bands left. Some of the bands stuck around until after 3rd quarter ended, but the Seymour band stayed for the entire game and watched as IU won with a whopping 52 to 17 on the scoreboard.  Some of the members of the band might have had sunburn from the blazing September sun, but those are just reminders of the time that they had at IU band day.