Sinking the Globe

Anna Massengale, Staff Writer

On September 25 the first rehearsal for the play “Sinking the Globe” began at SHS. “Sinking the Globe” is a play about Shakespeare’s theater during his time and the troubles the theatre goes through. In the play, Shakespeare has to leave the theater for the day and his wife, Anne, is left to run the theater in his absence. More chaos ensues with kidnappings and mixed versions of other plays like “Romeo and Juliet”.

The director of “Sinking the Globe,” Mr. Erik Stangland, English and Theater teacher, has directed a lot of plays for Seymour High School.  Stangland liked the student’s choice of “Sinking the Globe” because there is a variety of different characters. Stangland stated, “It is exciting and affirming that the actors want to do well with the show.”

Student Director, Junior Grace Beach thinks that the play will be a great success this year. In previous years they did not have as big a audience as they would have liked but she said, “This year we are advertising more so hopefully more people attend.” Beach said that the students chose this play not only because it is fun and exciting, but because the costumes matched the spring musical “Into the Woods” so it would make it easier.

Some students who are not in theater class auditioned for some of the plays. Sophomore Brooklyn Zable really enjoys being in plays. She said,  “It’s a really fun way to have fun experiences.” Zable participated in last years play as well as auditioned for “Sinking the Globe” this year.

The play will debut on November 10 and 11 at 7:00PM. The members of the play have stated that they have worked tirelessly on “Sinking the Globe” to make it “hip, fun, and cool.”