Every Penny Counts

Anna Massengale, Staff Writer

On September 25 the Seymour band received another fundraising form for their trip to Florida to perform in a parade at Disney World. The band started their first fundraiser in early September selling mums. Seymour band director Kevin Cottrill told the band members that the mums fundraiser was a success and hopes that they will continue to make it so. This time the band is selling band cards and coupons for restaurants for 15 dollars each. While there is not really a due date for the band cards, funds are collected every week and then given back on Monday or Tuesday. Each band member needs to sell at least 5 cards; if they sell more than that, then money will be put in their account for the Florida trip. The band sells cards until they run out.

Sophomore color guard member Derikka Locke said it took her a week to actually comprehend that the band goes to Florida. Locke has worked hard for the money she needs to go to Florida, and she has sold quite a few for each fundraiser. “I haven’t met one person who was not excited,” Locke said and will continue to make money for the Florida trip.

A majority of seniors this year have already gone and still help out with raising money so other people can enjoy the trip too. Senior section leader Abigail Wheeler went on the trip when she was a freshmen.  Wheeler stated, “The band takes the whole day to drive to Florida. The trip really helped me get along with other people.”

The band currently has over seven hundred band cards left to sell. If the band were to sell the remaining seven hundred, they would make around $10,500. Every penny counts.