SHS choir cuts foot loose this weekend

The cast of Seymour High School’s Footloose is excited to perform
SHS choir cuts foot loose this weekend

The Seymour High School Varsity Chorale puts on the musical Footloose, based on the 1984 film of the same name, this week.  After months of preparation, memorization, and practice, the cast is ready for four stellar performances.  Leading actors Leonel Jimenez (as Ren McCormack/understudy for Chuck Cranston) and Evah Snyder (as Ariel Moore) speak to their time preparing for this production as well as understudies for their roles, Joel Stevens and Katie Cottrill who are also playing Chuck Cranston and Wendy Jo.

Leonel:

“It feels awesome. I’m glad that I get to end my last year here with such a great musical that’s so explosive and rambunctious. In comparison with last year’s musical, my lines have tripled, so on a lot of days I just had to sit there for a while just going over lines to make sure I had them down This is also a big step-up dancing-wise, so I’ve had to definitely up my dancing game, and I think it has paid off. I think this musical is going to be accepted greatly by all audiences because of its huge cult following and the impact the original movie had on a lot of people when it came out. I think everyone has put in their all, and we are more ready than we’ll ever be. Expect one of the greatest shows Seymour Varsity Chorale will ever put on.

Evah:

“It feels great. I’m very proud of the work everyone has put in and super grateful for my role in all of this.  It’s definitely a lot harder than it has been in the past to prepare, but with a lot of extra time and hard work put into it I hope everyone enjoys the show.”

Katie:

“With this being my third musical with the SHS choir program, it keeps getting more rewarding and special to be a part of. The way I’m preparing now and then is completely different solely for the roles I’ve been put in this year being Wendy Jo and Ariel’s understudy. I’ve had to spend much more time to get down all the lines and songs for both characters. Handling two roles has been difficult, but it’s worth it to be on stage. The cast has been working very hard to get this musical to the best of our ability, and I think that the audience will take it very well. The music is very fun and upbeat.” 

Joel:

“I’m pretty excited to be in another musical, but this year I have a much bigger part and with my understudy role a lot to learn. So, I have been reading lines and listening to Footloose music every day. I think this musical is loved by a lot of people, but some characters including mine have a little bit of a potty mouth, so who knows how some people will react. I think the cast has been preparing very hard and everyone will do very well.  There will be mistakes, but that’s showbiz.”

The cast and crew of Footloose are ready for a fantastic production this weekend, and their audience is ready to watch a great show. Break a leg!