Seymour Owls Dance the Night Away

The Seymour High School Dance Marathon raised over $24,000 through their annual event
Seymour Owls Dance the Night Away

Dance Marathon is a student-led, year-round organization that leads up to an electric, multi-hour event where students participate in different activities and learn a special dance. While doing all of this, students stand for the entire night so they can, “Dance for those who can’t.” 

The money made through Dance Marathon went to Riley Children’s Hospital for research. It was announced November 18th, 2023, the day of the event, that SHS had raised $24,005.94, destroying the previous goal of $18,000. Seniors Tori Fee, Sam Baker, Aleia Findley, Bret Perry, Elise Hartung, Ashlynn Henderson, and Claire Marshall lead this year, raising money in a multitude of ways. To start the year, seniors painted their parking spots on Labor Day and all of the money went  to Riley.  A couple of weeks ago, big cookies were sold before school and during lunches for the cause. For one of the weeks, SHS also partnered with Seymour elementary schools, Seymour Middle School, and St. Ambrose for a penny wars to help raise money and a jean day to promote donations. As well as this, SHS also partnered with Freddy’s for one night where the restaurant donated 15% of total sales.

Other businesses that donated money and resources included:

Shneck, Beatty Insurance, Dunkin’ Donuts Seymour, Tio Migue, Luz Detailing, El Nopal, Buffalo Wild Wings, Seymour Pediatrics, Small Town Lawn Care, Bob Poynter, Jackson County Bank, Pepsi, Subway, McDonald’s, Dairy Queen Brownstown, Papa Johns, Pizza Palace, Chicago’s, Culligan.  

At the event, there were many games and activities. One of the most popular was the “pie a teacher” event. It included teachers, Mr. Cottrill, Mr. A Perry, Ricardo, and Mr. Knecht who had been voted on by students the previous week by collecting change at lunch. The Students who pied the teachers were chosen by winning a game of knock out. 

The main purpose of the event was to “dance for those who can’t,” by learning a dance throughout the night. This was done with the help of IU students who taught the dance to particpiants throughout the course of the event. To make the night more memorable, Emmah Bridgewater spoke about her experiences at Riley and what the hospital means to her.  

Dance Marathon was first brought to Seymour High School ten years ago when the question was asked, “Why doesn’t SHS do this?” Ever since then, Dance Marathon has been done every year, and SHS has raised a grand total of   $139,554.74. Now that Dance Marathon is over for 2023, the next step is to start fundraising for next year.  Join the fight, and help children by donating to Riley Children’s Hospital. Donate To Riley