Victoria’s Secret shows bias on the runway

Back to Article
Back to Article

Phoebe Hughel, Staff Writer

On Thursday, November 8, 2018 Victoria’s Secret had their yearly runway show. Edward Razek (chief marketing officer) was interviewed about the Victoria’s Secret fashion shows evolving. When asked if Razek would consider transgender models in his show he said, “No. No, I don’t think we should. Because the show is a fantasy. It’s a 42-minute entertainment specials. That’s what it is. It is the only one of its kind in the world, and any other fashions brand in the world would take it in a minute, including competitors that are carping at us. And they carp at us because we’re the leader.” This 42-minute special in Razek’s opinion is what he wants and expects women to look like. They have to have their makeup done, hair done, nails done, heels on, outfit scandalous. To him women are for looks. It doesn’t matter what their personality is or what they think; none of that matters. It’s all about the physical form to him.

The comments that Razek made have offended so many people. He has since apologized (in an email) about the comments he made. The words “I’m sorry” will not change anything. Not only were trans comments made, but comments about plus sized women were made. “We attempted to do a television special for plus-sizes [in 2000]. No one had any interest in it, still don’t.” This is a complete lie. So many men and women are interested in thicker women. Since comments like this have been made, sales have been decreasing since 2016.

Women are women. Size, color, orientation, religion, none of this matters. Each woman is unique and beautiful in her own way. Just because someone doesn’t look like your ideal woman doesn’t make her less beautiful. Comments like this about trans women need to stop. Yes, not every single trans woman will have the chance to be a Victoria’s Secret model, but it shouldn’t stop her just because she is transgender. Especially comments about plus sized models not being allowed on the Victoria’s Secret runway is not alright. Little girls already grow up thinking they need to be as skinny as possible otherwise they are fat and ugly. Every single woman is beautiful in her own way.

Phoebe Hughel, Staff Writer

I am a Junior this year at Seymour High School. My passions involve makeup, art, ballet, and creating music playlists. I enjoy writing and sharing my opinions...