Joining SHS Wrestling

Back to Article
Back to Article

Joining SHS Wrestling

Kylee Nowling, Staff Writer

After jokingly having a conversation with Mr. Wolka about joining the wrestling team, I actually started to consider it. All I currently played was soccer, so my winters were not filled with a sport. I asked Mr. Wolka MANY questions having to do with the singlettes, getting ringworm, and not having ever watched a wrestling match. After he cleared up some of my questions and concerns for the time being, I decided I was going to be a wrestler.

When soccer came to a conclusion, I went to my first of many wrestling practices. The first couple practices were nothing but confusion and trying to keep up with what everyone else was doing. As time went on, it became more familiar and I started to enjoy the sport.

When people learn that I am a wrestler, a question they frequently ask is “why?” Honestly, I did not have a specific reason that I joined. I knew that some of my friends from soccer were joining, and I knew it would keep me in shape for soccer. Now that I have been wrestling for a little over a month, I have many reasons that I enjoy it. The teammates and coaches are all amazing day in and day out. I also love the aspect of learning something new and being challenged in a sport.

Another question I get asked frequently is, “What is it like being a girl wrestling guys?” Being a girl wrestling a guy is no different than wrestling a girl, other than the fact that girls tend to be more flexible, and guys tend to have stronger upper bodies. When I am in the middle of a match, I do not think about the gender of the person I am wrestling. During a match, I just focus on the moves I need to be doing to win or score a point.

As the season progresses, I will continue to update my thoughts on the unique sport of wrestling. As of now, I am really enjoying being a wrestler. I am excited to see how much I can personally improve and learn throughout the season, and equally excited to see the victories of my teammates.

Kylee Nowling, Writer

I am a sophomore at SHS and this is my first year with the newspaper. I enjoy writing and am excited to see what this year with The Owl has in store for...

1 Comment

One Response to “Joining SHS Wrestling”

1. Dunigan Huddleston on December 11th, 2018 10:22 am

yeah go Kylee! keep working hard and would like more stories about wrestling and how some people adapt to it

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Joining SHS Wrestling

Features

College Admissions Scandal

• Joining SHS Wrestling

Features

New Hope for Cures to HIV and AIDS

• Joining SHS Wrestling

Features

Child Drag Queens

• Joining SHS Wrestling

Features

Can You Remain Friends With Your Ex?

• Joining SHS Wrestling

Features

WANTED: Volunteers for the Library!

• Joining SHS Wrestling

Features

Lent Google Form

• Joining SHS Wrestling

Features

Tensions Rise in Kashmir

• Joining SHS Wrestling

Clubs

FFA: Building Leaders and Giving Back

• Joining SHS Wrestling

Features

Luke Turner’s Participation in the Senate Page Program

• Joining SHS Wrestling

Features

Seymour Varsity Boys Bowling Team Makes History

Joining SHS Wrestling