Joining SHS Wrestling

Back to Article
Back to Article

Joining SHS Wrestling

Kylee Nowling, Staff Writer

After jokingly having a conversation with Mr. Wolka about joining the wrestling team, I actually started to consider it. All I currently played was soccer, so my winters were not filled with a sport. I asked Mr. Wolka MANY questions having to do with the singlettes, getting ringworm, and not having ever watched a wrestling match. After he cleared up some of my questions and concerns for the time being, I decided I was going to be a wrestler.

When soccer came to a conclusion, I went to my first of many wrestling practices. The first couple practices were nothing but confusion and trying to keep up with what everyone else was doing. As time went on, it became more familiar and I started to enjoy the sport.

When people learn that I am a wrestler, a question they frequently ask is “why?” Honestly, I did not have a specific reason that I joined. I knew that some of my friends from soccer were joining, and I knew it would keep me in shape for soccer. Now that I have been wrestling for a little over a month, I have many reasons that I enjoy it. The teammates and coaches are all amazing day in and day out. I also love the aspect of learning something new and being challenged in a sport.

Another question I get asked frequently is, “What is it like being a girl wrestling guys?” Being a girl wrestling a guy is no different than wrestling a girl, other than the fact that girls tend to be more flexible, and guys tend to have stronger upper bodies. When I am in the middle of a match, I do not think about the gender of the person I am wrestling. During a match, I just focus on the moves I need to be doing to win or score a point.

As the season progresses, I will continue to update my thoughts on the unique sport of wrestling. As of now, I am really enjoying being a wrestler. I am excited to see how much I can personally improve and learn throughout the season, and equally excited to see the victories of my teammates.

Kylee Nowling, Writer

I am a sophomore at SHS and this is my first year with the newspaper. I enjoy writing and am excited to see what this year with The Owl has in store for...

1 Comment

One Response to “Joining SHS Wrestling”

1. Dunigan Huddleston on December 11th, 2018 10:22 am

yeah go Kylee! keep working hard and would like more stories about wrestling and how some people adapt to it

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Joining SHS Wrestling

Features

Representing Seymour, Showing Sportsmanship

• Joining SHS Wrestling

Features

Lady Owls Wrestle At State

• Features

Interview: Jakub Marek

• Joining SHS Wrestling

Features

Trump Attempts To Calm the Waters At The US Border

• Joining SHS Wrestling

Features

Coach Bogg’s Celebrates his 600th Win

• Joining SHS Wrestling

Features

Dear Phoebe: When do you give a promise ring?

• Joining SHS Wrestling

Features

Athlete of the Week, Jack Roberts

• Joining SHS Wrestling

Features

‘I Loved My Year In America’

• Features

Revision of the Finals Schedule

• Joining SHS Wrestling

Features

Dance Marathon 2018

Joining SHS Wrestling