SHS staff remembers Mr. Prange’s career

The staff of SHS recalls fond memories and experiences with Principal Greg Prange
SHS staff remembers Mr. Pranges career

This past week, the staff of Seymour High School were asked to think about their time teaching and learning with Mr. Prange.  Many staff volunteered to “share any fond memories, experiences, or conversations they’ve had with Mr. Prange as he enters his final week as the principal of SHS.”  The responses received were many and ranged across all aspects of his career in the Seymour school system.

“I would like to thank Mr. Prange for his countless hours of dedication to Seymour High School. I know he spent many hours away from his family to coach, volunteer, and attend other school functions. He treated his faculty and students as his own. I will never forget the good times we had during my football career here. I always loved the realism of Mr. Prange. He is going to say what he means and doesn’t mess around with words. I hope the students understand the love and commitment Mr. Prange had for them. He showed them to never give up the fight and to be at your job even when you don’t feel 100%. Finally, I am so thankful that he gave me the opportunity to come back to teach at Seymour High School to get to know him as a mentor, principal, and person.” -Mr. Ahlbrand

“Coach Prange and I coached varsity football back in the day, along with Jeff Richey and head coach Joe Goodman. He was the O-line coach and I was the defensive backs and running backs coach in ’91 when they won the sectional, regional, and semi-state but lost to Hobart in the state finals. We enjoyed many winning seasons together, enjoyed practices, watching film endlessly–I mean endlessly–and occasionally wrestling on the practice field while the players were stretching before practice–I’d let him win a lot. I will never forget those days.” -Mr. Rose

“In my 31-year teaching career, I have worked with and for many different principals. Without question, Mr. Prange has been the most supportive. He has trusted me to do my job to the best of my abilities and supported me with wonderful resources to help make our entire band program stronger. He’s one of the reasons why Seymour Bands are flourishing!”-Mr. Cottrill 

‘Mr. Prange and I have been friends since 1st grade. We played elementary football together at Immanuel. We have taken many family vacations together to Florida and pro football games together. 2 favorite quotes that I have taken from Mr. Prange are: 1. Sometimes you are the bug and sometimes you are the windshield. 2. Anytime you have to stop on a vacation road trip, if someone has to use the restroom. Everyone has to ” try and squeeze some out.”’-Mr Hubbard

“I will never forget the support he gave me as a new teacher at Seymour High School.”-Mr. Kelley 

“Mr. Prange was my principal and now my boss. He was my husband’s teacher. He has been a great support through my husband’s cancer journey and through the passing of my father. I can’t count the times he has sent me an encouraging email. He has always had a kind word for my husband and I when he sees us out. Words can not express the amount of gratitude we have for Mr. Prange.”-Mr. Malone

“In my over thirty-three years of teaching, I have been in four different corporations and have had multiple administrators (including…as I can recall off the top of my head…six different principals). Mr. Prange and a gentleman I had as a principal in my second corporation were/are, “hands down,” the most passionate about their schools. That is an indelible memory I will always have about Mr. Greg Prange…he’s ALWAYS been passionate about Seymour High School, not only as an administrator but also as a student and teacher here too.”-Mr. Perry

“Mr. Prange sat with me in his office while I cried through some heavy health-related issues. He didn’t ask for any details… Just told me to take good care of myself and my family and know that he was there to support me at school. I’ve always felt so supported by him and know he’s the main reason SHS really is one big family. It’s really difficult to think about SHS without him. He’s done so much for our staff and our students.”-Anonymous Staff Member

“I remember when Mr. Prange was a young teacher and had hair. I got in trouble with Mr.Prange when I was a high school student in his Integrated Science class back in the 90s. I was sitting next to Ivan B. We were talking and laughing way too much. Mr. Prange had had enough. Let’s just say, we had a “Come to Jesus Moment” that day. I would describe Mr.Prange as loyal and fair. He always reminds me of Dad (the greatest honor I can think of). Mr. Prange, I cannot thank you enough for allowing me to be in your “tee-pee.” I could not have asked for a better mentor, teacher, leader, or boss!”-Mrs. Wagner

“I remember when Mr. Prange would always roll his eyes and walk back into his office when he saw my friends and I report to our ‘office worker’ duty (nearly 24 years ago). Pretty sure he knew we were always up to something! During my time at SHS, they closed campus and no longer allowed students to go off campus for lunch. My friends and I were craving Day’s Pizza so we snuck out through the commons and went off campus anyways!! I got in trouble with Mr. Prange when, as previously mentioned, my friends and I snuck off campus for lunch. Apparently, we weren’t so sneaky and the admin was waiting on us inside the commons doors. Long story short, I got Saturday school for that stunt…the breadsticks were worth it though! Mr. Prange is such an amazing person. He is kind, knowledgeable, and unselfish. He puts others first and truly cares about his staff and students. Mr. Prange is an outstanding leader and I feel so privileged to not only have been a student under his administration but also a staff member. Thank you, Mr. Prange, for all that you have done for the students and staff at SHS. We are all so very lucky to have such an amazing leader!”-Mrs. Hiday 

“I remember when Mr.Prange became my principal when I was a sophomore in 2005 (I think- check my years if you need!) at Seymour High School. We were so happy for a new, young principal that was fun! I enjoyed it when Mr. Prange announced the lunch menu and pronounced foods totally incorrect. I got in trouble with Mr. Prange when I would hang out in the parking lot with my friends around 2006-2008. They never wanted us loitering, which I now understand, but we were playing frisbee, tennis, and cards. All the naughty activities were happening at people’s houses. We were just high school kids looking for a place to hang out. He would drive by on a Friday night and tell us to “get outta here.” It took us weeks to finally realize the old Starbucks was a better meeting place. I had a good talk with Mr.Prange when I was in between career paths and delivering my second child without a clear direction on where to go next. He told me he would always know how to find me, and now I am back home where I belong forever. I would describe Mr. Prange as a man with a heart of gold. A man of very few words, but when he speaks he speaks volumes. A wonderful grandfather, husband, teacher, coach, and principal. Thank you for your legacy that will remain in place forever.”-Mrs. Halterman

“Mr. Prange provided the opportunity for our family/children to become Seymour Owls instead of Columbus “somethings.” In fact, I believe that it was God working through him. I am grateful that on the day I was supposed to respond to a Columbus teaching offer, Greg called to interview me. Even though Kevin had worked at SHS for ten years, we still lived in Columbus. I had promised him that if a job ever opened in Seymour when I returned to teaching (I took a ten-year sabbatical to raise our three kids to school age,) I would interview if offered. What a blessing SHS and Seymour have been! Greg’s faith and his willingness to share it and pray with us, are one of my favorite attributes of his. This would have never happened in my hometown schools. Besides this, he leads by trusting his staff to make the right choices as professionals. However, I had a few times that I screwed up, and he handled every situation with grace and kindness. It always turned into a teachable moment instead of a reprimand. God led our family to Seymour through Mr. Prange, and we are all the better for it. The Cottrill family thanks you, appreciates your leadership and respects your passionate faith. God bless you and your family. Always an Owl…”-Mrs. Cottrill

The staff and students of SHS appreciate Mr. Prange and respect him to the highest degree. Though he will be greatly missed, Seymour High School wishes him well as he departs from the school that’s been such a large part of his and the community’s life.