Wheeling Towards Victory!

Pictured: Abby Wheeler smiles with many emotions as it is her last evening practice for band.

Zen Stripling, Staff Writer

Photographer, nature lover, and band member Abigail “Bricks” Wheeler is one of the many seniors that are next to graduate from Seymour High School after the 2017-2018 school year. Coming from Immanuel Lutheran School to attending SHS as a freshman, her days of formal education are soon-to-be over as her last year winds down. Wheeler does nothing less than making the most she can out of her senior year. 

From being an introvert and afraid of talking, Wheeler has became charismatic and developed the personality of “never being about to stop talking” over the span of her high school career. “It’s also kind of scary, I was told that it would go back fast, and now I definitely feel different,” Wheeler says when describing the mood of her senior year, as it also is “shaping up to be (her) favorite year,” at the same time. “High school is just a big blur of good times, so it’s hard to pick a favorite moment specifically.” Wheeler continues, “It was super cool.” 

One thing that stands out with Wheeler was her involvement in both band and Jazz band. “It’s such a special family,” Wheeler expresses, “I couldn’t imagine my life without band, coming from a private school. I met different people when I joined; they helped me break out of my shell.” Wheeler continues to strive as a band member. She is also a sectional leader of both the trombone and baritone sections in the SHS band. “I’ll miss the band the most out of anything. I’ve definitely made some really good friends, like we go out to eat, watch movies, and we just bond.” 

With senior knowledge, Wheeler’s advice to freshman consists of being involved. “Be involved in everything you can, just be involved, and make sure to participle, and this may sound cheesy, but do your homework,” Wheeler informs, “Also, there are things not to do, like drugs.”

Wheeler is also a nature lover and photographer, she shows this on her Instagram account, as she shares bits of her life and her love of nature and outdoors, “If I’m not at school or my house, chances are that I’m outside.” Wheeler plans to be involved in the field of nature, as her plans after high school consist of going to Ball State. She plans to major in Wildlife Conservation and Biology and minor in Botany.