Seymour’s 2023 mayoral candidates answer the youth’s questions

Matt Nicholson featured left, and Dan Robison featured right.

Caley Monnier, Editor in Chief

A few weeks ago, The Owl sent out a survey to the student body asking a series of questions regarding their concerns for Seymour, and an opportunity to ask Seymour’s mayoral candidates Matt Nicholson and Dan Robison any questions they have for them. I hand picked a few questions shared by many of our students here at SHS, and here are both of the candidates’ answers.

1. An overwhelming number of students commented on a felt lack of recreation for teenagers in Seymour. How would you, as mayor, help to promote new initiatives for activities that teenagers in Seymour can enjoy?

Matt Nicholson

First thing I would do is what my boss did in the mid 90’s when I was a junior at SHS. I would encourage our teens to get involved. Get involved with clubs, non-profits, extra curricular activities, friends, or whatever you have an interest in. The more connected we are the more we find things to do. Now to what we have added over the last few years to add to the choices for things for teens to do. Finished Schurman Grubb Memorial Skatepark, added disc golf, expanded disc golf to 18 holes, added ball diamonds at freeman field, added basketball court to shields, started Mayor’s Youth Council so teens can get involved with their local government and have input on what our community looks like in the future, started the teen opinion survey earlier this year to give teens some voice, and more. These are just a few examples of how we are trying to get feedback and participation from our teens.

Dan Robison

We definitely need more recreation and activity opportunities for young people in Seymour. As mayor, I will approach this opportunity in two ways, First, I will work with existing departments and organizations (eg. Parks & Rec, Boys & Girls Club, faith-based organizations) in Seymour to develop partnerships and plan activities for teenagers. I will also lean into economic development in Seymour and make one of our priorities to attract private businesses that provide activities and recreation opportunities for all ages.

2. When asked if SHS students plan to stay in Seymour after they graduate, only 25% of respondents said yes. Why do you think Seymour’s youth does not feel like staying here in adulthood? What incentives do you believe should be put in place to attract young people to our town?

Matt Nicholson

This answer has not changed much over the years. Many of my classmates said the same thing. Some even left and returned later in life to raise their families. As far as incentives, I don’t agree with incentives to attract people. Someone that is attracted to an area because of an incentive will be attracted to the next area with the next incentive. As we age we realize what Seymour has to offer. We are a safe community to raise a family. We have many more options than most communities our size when it comes to food with over 76 options to choose from. We have a downtown that is above most on first floor occupancy. We have a park system that offers over 100 programs from kids to senior citizens and all ages in between. We have job opportunities in many different fields. Unlike many we are still growing and expanding on so many fronts like public art, health care, and education. We are currently working on new options at the Jackson County Learning Center on Dupont Drive for educational opportunities after high school. We have much more than most small towns offer as described above and unlike the big cities we still hold that smalltown feel that many come to love over time.

Dan Robison

When I graduated from SHS in 1990, I had no plans of leaving Seymour. However, after continuing my education, my career opportunities led me away. I spent some time in Kentucky, then back to Indiana for a few years in the Evansville area before landing in Florida for 18 years. I was excited to move back to Seymour in 2020 because my experiences of living in other areas really taught me to appreciate and value our way of life here. Most people don’t understand why I moved from Clearwater back to Seymour, but I do, and I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else! I think one incentive that could help attract young people to want to either stay in Seymour or return to Seymour as I did would be to encourage our local companies and organizations to expand opportunities for internships. Internships help students connect with local businesses while they continue their education and could help them discover the opportunities that exist for them right here.

3. Our eligible voters were asked if they planned to vote for Seymour mayor on May 2nd, but only a small handful said they will actually be voting. Why do you think we have so many apathetic and alienated voters in Seymour, and what can be done to bridge the gap between eligible voters and the polls?

Matt Nicholson

Unfortunately many choose not to vote. This is not just a teen problem. Many don’t choose to vote until they have seen how the government affects their lives directly. The Mayor’s race is the closest daily connection to solving the problems you face on a local level. How we get them involved is by getting to know your local leaders. Joining things like the Mayor’s Youth Council so you understand how you can be a part of creating tomorrow and not leaving it to someone else to build. Doing as your fellow classmate Paul Montgoemery did and asking for the city to become something and not just asking, but stepping up to help solve the details. Because of Paul we are now recognized as a Tree City by the Arbor Day Foundation. This will improve property values in our community and long term can help lower our property taxes by raising our gross assessed value. When you have an idea even as a student you can make a difference by doing your research and stepping up and asking questions. Don’t step back though when asked to be a part of the solution when you do. Step forward and help be the face that makes a difference for you, for me, and for generations to come.

Dan Robison

I think there are at least a couple of reasons why young voters (and probably a lot of eligible voters in general) don’t vote. First, I think there is a sense that politics is all about disagreeing and arguing with other people and this is a turnoff to a lot of folks. While there certainly are those in politics who engage in this behavior, there are also a lot of good folks in government who are really doing good things and working to represent the people they were elected to serve. Most of these women and men go unnoticed because they get drowned out by the noisemakers. Another reason I think folks don’t exercise their right to vote is they think that it simply doesn’t matter. They believe that their one, single vote won’t matter or that whoever is elected to serve in office doesn’t really matter. I disagree with both ways of thinking. Our republic is founded on the belief that everyone should have a voice and a vote is a powerful voice to have. Voters are the ones who get to hire or fire the leaders who make decisions that can have real impacts on their everyday lives. Your life doesn’t have to be consumed with following every aspect of politics, but take some time to learn about the folks who are running, what the key issues are and cast your vote!

4. One concern many teens have is the supply of mental health resources, and the lack thereof. How could this problem be addressed and get the youth of Seymour the mental health care they need?

Matt Nicholson

This is a tough topic to work on as the mayor. I will share some related items from the last few years. Last year we applied for and received a recovery grant to identify gaps in our recovery related services. Currently they are writing the findings of this grant so we can hopefully fill some of those gaps in the near future. More recently I was part of a conversation of a local mental health worker looking for office space in our community. I was able to connect them with some available space and they have started their services in that location. Mental health needs to be addressed and I believe our healthcare network is starting to see the need and work on plans to help fill those needs.

Dan Robison

The need for more mental health resources is a genuine need in our community. I am currently part of a workgroup with Healthy Jackson County that is working to better understand this need, what resources currently exist and what gaps need to be filled. While I don’t believe that local government is the best equipped to lead and manage mental health in Seymour, there are things that we can do to help assist those who are best equipped. There are grant programs available to help attract mental health providers and other resources to our community that help fill the gaps that exist. As mayor, I will be committed to creating partnerships with those who can help us solve this pressing need in Seymour.

I also allowed students to pose their own questions, and these are some I found to be very important.

5. If you were elected Mayor, how would you go about including the Hispanic population in city activities? How would information be translated to the Hispanic population with there being a language barrier?

Matt Nicholson

Last summer one of our interns Brandon Rodriguez spent many hours translating city documents into Spanish to help chip away at the language barrier. Currently we are working with the Brookings Institute and Local Initiatives Support Corporation to bring everyone to the table. As we work through the process we have met with SHS students, employees at area factories, the latino 4th club, and several other groups to make sure the hispanic voice, the Haitian voice, the voice of all American or not has been used to help make decisions on what we work towards over the next 3 years. I look forward to this work being completed over the next few months and what results come from it.

Dan Robison

As mayor, I will commit to improving the relationship that exists between City Hall and our Hispanic neighbors. I will create a Mayor’s Hispanic Task Force that will be a direct connection with City Hall for us to learn where opportunities exist and how best to work through them together. There are also huge opportunities for us to provide better communication tools like translation and language education services to help us bridge the communication gap. I have already had some great conversation with leaders in our Hispanic community and I believe we can make great progress together to create a Seymour that works for everyone!

6. How can teens be involved and educated regarding political activity in Seymour?

Matt Nicholson

I have and am always willing to come speak to classes about current events and what we do here in city government. Some teachers have taken me up on the offer and others have not, but that is a great way to start the dialogue. Each year I visit 2nd grade at Emerson Elementary to talk politics as they read Grace for President and help them understand it from a local view. The Mayor’s Youth Council will be taking applications starting soon so I encourage everyone who might have an interest to fill it out and possibly join us for the upcoming school year.

Dan Robison

I would recommend starting to follow local activity first. Local politics are smaller scale and should be easier to follow than larger platforms. Social media and the internet are really good sources to get information directly from the candidates involved in races. The other great thing about following local races is that it should be pretty easy for anyone to have direct access to the candidates to meet them and ask questions. From there, you can branch out and start following statewide and federal issues and campaigns.

7. If you could explain your mayoral campaign and the values that matter to you most in one sentence, what would it be?

Matt Nicholson

I will remain positive just as I have done over the last three years because Seymour needs a leader who can stay focused and positive to reach a better tomorrow.

Dan Robison

I’m committed to elevating the quality of leadership from City Hall to focus on the priorities that matter most to the people who call Seymour home.

And finally, the most important question of all:

8. What’s your favorite fast food place in Seymour?

Matt Nicholson

I was told many years ago that you have to eat at the local Mom and Pop places because you will get one of two things: a good meal or a good story and if you are lucky you might get both.

Dan Robison

I’m honestly not much of a fast-food guy. I prefer to eat out at our locally-owned restaurants like Brooklyn Pizza, Larrisons or Rails, but when I just want a quick hit on a drive-thru, I would say that Culver’s is my go-to. Key word: “ButterBurger”!