Parent/Teacher Conferences Success at SHS

Anna Massengale, Staff Writer

Seymour High Schools cafeteria was bustling with students, parents, and teachers on February 21 for the Parent/Teacher Conference. A Parent/Teacher Conference is a time for parents to meet their child’s teachers and see how they are doing in their classes. Seymour High School had a Parent/Teacher Conference at the beginning of the school year on September 20 and again February 21.

Sophomore Derikka Locke went to the Parent/Teacher Conference with her mother and talked to all her teachers. Students feel nervous on days like this but she said,  “I was happy to see my mother interacting with my favorite teachers” which is something that not a lot of students can say. Not all students are doing so hot with their grades in the 3rd nine weeks, but her Locke and her mother were still pleased with the progress she had made in the past year.

Like all students Locke felt a bit “awkward” while her mother was talking to her teachers. They discussed what she could do better and where she excelled right in front of her. With some students, their parents sat down and they stood behind and could not hear anything with all the bustle and talk of other teachers, parents and students. These Parent/Teacher Conferences could help the students realize what they are doing wrong and how their parents can help. Locke was lucky to listen in on how she could do better or continue on being great.

Teachers always give advice to students to help them continue or improve to be better with what they do in class or at home. Locke’s teachers continued to tell her to work hard in class and get the homework in as homework helps with understanding the subject. Locke, like any other student, was glad to be finished with the Parent/Teacher Conference but she knew what she had to do to be better in her classes.