Behind the Scences: 2018 Lip Dub

Megan Smith, Staff Writer

On Wednesday January 10, Seymour High School students lined the hallways with cheerful attitudes and colorful posters waiting for their turn to be in the SHS lip dub. The video started through the front doors of the school and down the 100 hallway. The video is set to featur many different sports, clubs, teams, and the entire student body.

The clubs and teams involved were the Spanish Club, Latin Club, French Club,  Wrestling, Archery, Student Government, FFA, Owls Manufacturing, Cheer, FCA, Volleyball, Key Club, Gymnastics, The Academy, Choir/Band, DM (Dance Marathon), the library workers, and the SHS Cheerleaders. Junior and swim team member Dillon Polley says that he was “super excited” when he found out he was going to be a part of it. The song “Pompeii” by Bastille was playing when the Polley brothers went dancing down the hall. Dillon also says that he and his twin brother Dalton were not chosen to be a part of it for any specific reason but just because they’re “cool like that.”

Student director Jacob Joray, said that he and senior, Trent Hohenstreiter, decided to film a new lip dub because they had seen the previous one and were inspired. So, they “hit the ground running.” When asked how stressful the process of making the lip dub Joray said, “The lip dub was one of the most stressful things I have ever been a part of in my life. Making sure that the track was made, the route was set, telling teachers where to be, and figuring out how to handle 1,500 students is no easy task. I couldn’t have done it without the help of Trent, Mr. and Mrs. Reasoner, Luke Turner and the rest of the committee.”

At the end of the lip dub, students went to the gym to cheer along to “All In This Together” from High School Musical. Upon hearing this song, Jacob was asked who got to pick the music for the lip dub. He said “Once we decided we were going to do a lip dub, we thought that we would incorporate Riley into it. The Dance Marathon committee got together this past fall and brainstormed. It was fun to try and pick a wide arrangement of songs. We wanted to end with, “All In This Together,” because many of us remember watching High School Musical when we were young. We thought it would tie into the message that we are all in this together to fight for the children at Riley!” Many students are excited to see the final production, but it will not be debuted until the academic convocation!