Remembering Cinco De Mayo

Anna Massengale, Staff Writer

On May 7, many students could be seen bringing in dishes for their Spanish classes to celebrate Cinco De Mayo. Some people think that Cinco De Mayo is Mexico’s Independence Day but in reality it is a day to remember the three-hour battle between Mexican guerilla forces and the French military. The battle was held in Puebla on May 5, 1862. The celebrations for Cinco De Mayo are far more popular in the United States than it is in Mexico.
Sheena Isaacs, one of the Spanish teachers at Seymour High School, decided to give her students an opportunity to bring in a dish that they made for extra credit in her class. Everything the students brought would have to be homemade by themselves, not a partner project. Students choices were homemade tortilla chips and salsa, spanish flag cake, fruit kabobs and white chocolate covered strawberries. If a student was not great in the kitchen then all they had to do was either paint their faces, color their hair or make something crafty with the spanish flag on it.
“I was very pleased with the number of students that participated.” Isaacs commented that most of the people that brought dishes were the Spanish 2 and 3 classes. Isaacs has been celebrating Cinco De Mayo with Seymour since 2013. Every year she has changed the options for the dishes, this year she added the chocolate covered strawberries and the fruit kabobs.
Peyton Levine, a sophomore in Spanish 2, made homemade chips and salsa that her class seemed to enjoy. Levine was surprised by the classes reaction because she had thought that she did not do very well but she still had fun making the chips and salsa. “The thing that I enjoyed about making the chips and salsa was watching the chips change from soft corn tortilla to crispy chips.” Knowing that the chips and salsa would be challenging, Levine decided to do it because she likes making dishes that are different and hard for her to do. Levine like the other dishes that her classmates made, she thought the cakes were “beautifully decorated” and tasted delicious.
Levine said her classmates were very happy to see the dishes that the students brought in. The chips, salsa, cakes and strawberries. “I also think everyone was just happy to see food.”