Kelly Making A Distance

Anna Massengale, Guest Contributor

On August 9th, 2018, the school year had started and for teacher Erica Kelly it was the start of her second year at Seymour High School. Kelly teaches two classes: Algebra and Geometry and seems to thoroughly enjoy the student-teacher interactions. “It is fun getting to know all the different personalities,” Kelly said. While Kelly may be a familiar face at SHS, she has taught high school students at 3 different schools: Central Hardin High School, Jay County High School, and Fishers High School.

Kelly decided to teach math because it was her favorite subject, but her real likes just rely on teaching. She wanted to try and make a “difference in high school students by teaching them.” Kelly said it has always been her wish to teach and just decided to go with math because she had always liked to solve equations. She always likes how things “come together” just “like a puzzle piece.” Her favorite subject to teach this year is Geometry, but over everything Kelly loves Trigonometry.

Kelly is married to Mike Kelly, football coach at Seymour High School, and has three kids. Kelly said that she is not the most athletic person: “I’m not an athlete, but, yeah, I do learn some things about football.” Kelly thinks that she has a “really good working relationship” with all the other math teachers around her classroom.

The expectations of Kelly’s classes this year is to just “work hard and do their best.” She’s been here only a year, but Kelly has been enjoying her job at SHS and being able to make a difference in the high school students that will soon someday try to make their differences.

Anna Massengale, Guest Contributor

I am a junior, and I like to read and write especially in cursive. I like to color pictures. This might come as a big shocker to most people but I have...