JAG’s Outstanding Senior

JAGs Outstanding Senior

Chloe Shepherd, Staff Writer

Carina Muñoz is a senior at SHS. This school year was Carina’s first time in the JAG program and she is the secretary of the JAG bilingual program. In March, she was able to compete for JAG’s outstanding senior honor.

Carina was one out of the 12 students competing for this honor. First, Carina competed in several regional competitions. Then, she applied for the outstanding senior award. Carina had to submit a resume, application, an essay, recommendation letters, and proof of college acceptance. When she got to the conference, she was then interviewed by a judge. After all that, they announced that Carina had won the award. She won a $3,000 scholarship and received a certificate and a medallion. Carina said she wasn’t expecting to win, but she was so ecstatic to be given this opportunity and honor.

Carina plans on attending IUPUC. There, she wants to study elementary education with a minor in Spanish. She also plans to get a Master’s in counseling. Carina believes JAG has prepared her for her future. She states, “JAG has prepared me for my future by giving me leadership, communication, and teamwork skills. Being in JAG has also helped me build my confidence.” She plans to take those skills with her to IUPUC.

Congratulations, Carina, on your outstanding senior award!