Lady Owls Tennis

Tribune Photo by Jeff Lubker/ Seymour’s Peyton Levine hits a shot during a match against Scottsburg on Tuesday.

Kirby Hill, Staff Writer

The Lady Owls tennis season has just kicked off and right now they have a record of 3-1. To gain insight on the team I had the pleasure of interviewing Jan Fenton who is going into her second year of coaching at the high school level for Seymour.

What was the record last year?

Our regular season record last year was 7-7.

What do you predict for the record this year?

“I’m hoping we will get more matches in this season (We weren’t able to play 5 teams last year because of snow/rain outs).

As far as a prediction, I think we can increase matches won to around 11 if we step up our game against a few harder opponents.”

What are your expectations for the team this year?

“Even though tennis is more of an individual sport I’d like to see us come together as a team including all players working hard at practice, encouraging each other during matches, and supporting each other on and off the court.”

What is one thing you think the team as a whole needs to work on?

“Focus during a match where players only think about one point at a time. Tennis can be a mentally tough sport and I would like our team to work on not getting discouraged by past points and staying focused on the present moment with positive self-talk.”

What is one thing you want to improve throughout the season?

“Learning anticipation is important for tennis along with being ready on the court for each play.”

What are your thoughts on sectionals this year?

“Our team would definitely like to see a sectional win back for Seymour this year.”

Please come and support the Lady Owls Tennis team for their next home match April 18th on Thursday against rivals Brownstown.