Boys Soccer Loses Season Debut vs. Jasper

Casey Regruth, Staff Writer

The Jasper Panthers scored in the final 7 minutes of Saturday’s season opener to beat Seymour Owls boys soccer  2-1.

The two teams played to a scoreless draw in the first half although each side had plenty of opportunities. Seymour jumped on the Panthers early, commanding the ball and firing three shots. Jasper answered quickly with a clear-cut chance that was sliced over the crossbar.

The best opportunity of the match came from a Panther corner in the final minute of the first half. A header was put on frame by senior Jackson Kabrick. It looked to be a sure score, but sophomore goalie Donovyn Thomas had other ideas. He made a fantastic diving save to keep the ball out and the score even.

Jasper wasted no time in the second half, scoring after just 90 seconds. Seymour equalized less than six minutes later when junior Isaac Schafer assisted senior captain Alex Westfall.

The game stayed 1-1 until Jasper took the lead in the final minutes. It was a beautiful finish from Jasper sophomore Sam Leonard, lifting the ball up and over an onrushing Thomas. This was the final blow, as Jasper held on to win the game 2-1.

Because of the weather, the junior varsity game followed varsity. Both teams scored in the second half, and the game ended in a 1-1 draw. The Seymour goal was a sharp, left-footed shot by junior Javon Browning.